SoCon Player of the Year candidate, Trey Sumler, leads WCU into Wofford for the SoCon Game of the Week.
Jan. 19, 2014
Box Score |
Spartanburg, S.C. -
Western Carolina's men's basketball team will put its unbeaten Southern Conference streak on the line as the Catamounts travel to Wofford for the SoCon Game of the Week Monday with tipoff slated for 7 p.m. inside Benjamin Johnson Arena.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 11-8 and 4-0 in the SoCon after 67-64 win over Samford Saturday;
- WCU is currently on a five-game WIN STREAK -- including FOUR consecutive SoCon games to open the 2013-14 season;
- Trey Sumler was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors (12/31) becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS ... It was also his SECOND time this season winning POTW;
- Sumler NOTCHED a career-high 40 points during the week against Milligan (12/30) becoming the first player since Kevin Martin in 2003-04 to score 40 or more points;
- Sumler leads FOUR Catamounts in average DOUBLE-DIGITS points per game at 18.8 ppg ... Tom Tankelewicz AVERAGES 10.4 ppg, Brandon Boggs AVERAGES 10.1 ppg and James Sinclair AVERAGES 10.0 ppg;
- Sumler is ONE of only EIGHT players in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He is the TENTH active player in scoring in the NCAA.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 640 career wins over 33 seasons ... He has been a head coach in 1,010 career games ... His 1,000th career game came in a 78-69 win over Limestone (11/26).
WCU vs. Wofford Quick Series Hitters
- The Catamounts and Terriers have met 44 times PREVIOUSLY with WCU holding a 25-19 LEAD in the series ...
- The two schools FIRST met on December 10, 1948, a 70-42, Wofford win ... The two schools played EVERY year as members of the NAIA from 1948 to 1961;
- After meetings in 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1989-90 Wofford MADE the move to the SoCon RENEWING the series starting in 1995-96 ... WCU WON the first FIVE meetings in the SoCon;
- WCU has WON the last TWO meetings including a 57-56 win in Cullowhee on February 11, 2013;
- WCU is 12-8 in SOCON games, 6-8 on the ROAD and 9-8 UNDER head coach Larry Hunter
WCU and Wofford by the Numbers
||Points per game
||3-pt FG percentage
||Rebounds per game
||Assists per game
||Turnovers per game
||Steals per game
||Blocks per game
Scouting the Terriers
- Wofford ENTERS the game at 7-10 overall and 2-3 in the SoCon after a 71-57 home loss to Chattanooga on January 18 ... Wofford has played UTC in back-to-back games.
- Spencer Collins LEADS the Terriers with 13.2 points per game while SHOOTING 42.4 percent fro the floor ... Kark Cochran FOLLOWS with 13.1 ppg ... Lee Skinner averages 11.5 POINTS per game and 8.5 REBOUNDS per game to lead Wofford;
- Wofford LEADS the SoCon in scoring defense allowing only 66.2 points per game ... And in rebounding defense allowing opponents to GRAB only 32.6 rebounds per game ... And in 3-pt field goal defense allowing opponents to shoot only 32.3 percent from behind the arc.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Purple & Gold COME BACK to Ramsey Center for Davidson on January 23 at 7 p.m. ... Ingles and WCU have JOINED up to celebrate the school's 125th anniversary during the game.
- WCU is 20-40 ALL-TIME, 9-16 at home and 16-37 in SoCon games vs. the Wildcats ... WCU is looking to snap a FOUR-game slide against Davidson.
- The Catamounts hit the ROAD for a TWO game swing at The Citadel on Saturday, January 25 and at Elon on Thursday, January 30.