Jan. 17, 2014
Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina returns to action after a seven-day layoff following a 68-67 road win at Georgia Southern with Samford Saturday, January 18 at 2 p.m. in the Ramsey Center as the Catamounts look to improve on a 3-0 start to Southern Conference play, a four-game winning streak and a 7-0 mark at home.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 10-8 after 68-67 SoCon road win at Georgia Southern (01/11);
- WCU is currently on a four-game WIN STREAK -- including THREE consecutive SoCon games;
- The Catamounts are 7-0 at HOME in the Ramsey Center.
- Trey Sumler was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors (12/31) becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS ... It was also his SECOND time this season winning POTW.
- Sumler NOTCHED a career-high 40 points during the week against Milligan (12/30) becoming the first player since Kevin Martin in 2003-04 to score 40 or more points.
- Sumler LEADS the Catamounts in SCORING at 19.2 points per game ... He is THIRD in the SoCon in points per game ... Sumler is ONE of only EIGHT players in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He has 1,746 points and has handed out 429 assists ... Sumler is the TENTH active player in scoring in the NCAA.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 640 career wins over 33 seasons ... Hunter has been a head coach in 1,009 career games ... His 1,000th career game came in a 78-69 win over Limestone (11/26).
WCU vs. Samford Quick Series Hitters
- The Catamounts and Bulldogs have MET 11 times prior to Saturday's game with WCU HOLDING an 8-3 advantage in the series;
- WCU WON the FIRST scheduled game in the 1969-70 when Samford had to forfeit ... The series RESUMED in 2009, a 76-64 WCU loss, when the Bulldogs joined the SoCon;
- The Catamounts are 6-0 against Samford in the Ramsey Center including a 56-54 WIN in OVERTIME in 2012-13 ... WCU's Mike Brown hit the GAME WINNER as time expired;
- WCU has won FOUR of the last FIVE meetings in ... Four of those five games have been decided by less than five points.
WCU and Samford by the Numbers
|73.9||Points per game||69.3|
|42.0 percent||FG percentage||46.2 percent|
|37.4 percent||3-pt FG percentage||33.0 percent|
|68.8 percent||FT percentage||68.5 percent|
|36.6||Rebounds per game||31.5|
|12.9||Assists per game||14.1|
|13.0||Turnovers per game||13.5|
|8.1||Steals per game||6.0|
|4.4||Blocks per game||2.8|
Scouting the Bulldogs
- Samford ENTERS the game at 7-12 overall and 1-3 in the SoCon after a 57-55 WIN against Furman in Birmingham ... The win SNAPPED a three-game slide for the Bulldogs;
- Tim Williams LEADS Samford averaging 16.7 points per game and 7.1 rebounds per game ... He is shooting 60.3 percent.
- Isaiah Williams AVERAGES 12.1 points per game ... Russell Wilson LEADS the team with 60 assists;
- Samford is SECOND in the SoCon in field goal percentage at 46.2 percent ... The Bulldogs are THIRD in assists per game at 14.1 and THIRD in assists/turnover ratio at 1.0.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU TRAVELS to Wofford on Monday, January 20 for a 7 p.m. tipoff in the Benjamin Johnson Arena with the game scheduled for COVERAGE on ESPN3;
- WCU is 25-19 ALL-TIME, 6-8 on the ROAD and 12-8 in SoCon games vs. Terriers including a TWO-GAME winning streak.
- The Purple & Gold COME BACK to Ramsey Center for Davidson on January 23 at 7 p.m. ... Ingles and WCU have JOINED up to celebrate the school's 125th anniversary during the game.
- The Catamounts hit the ROAD for a TWO game swing at The Citadel on Saturday, January 25 and at Elon on Thursday, January 30.