Jan. 10, 2014
Statesboro, Ga. -
Western Carolina returns to the hardwood with its first road Southern Conference game of the 2013-14 season at Georgia Southern Saturday, January 11 at 2 p.m. It is the first game for WCU in seven games and one of two games in the next 11 days before playing four games in eight days.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 9-8 overall and 2-0 in the SoCon after a 74-62 WIN over preseason SoCon favorite Elon (01/03).
- WCU is currently on a three-game WIN STREAK and is 7-0 at HOME in the Ramsey Center.
- Trey Sumler was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors (12/31) becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS ... It was also his SECOND time this season winning POTW.
- Sumler NOTCHED a career-high 40 points during the week against Milligan (12/30) becoming the first player since Kevin Martin in 2003-04 to score 40 or more points.
- Sumler LEADS the Catamounts in SCORING at 19.6 points per game ... He is THIRD in the SoCon in points per game ... Sumler is ONE of only EIGHTH players in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He has 1,733 points and has handed out 417 assists ... Sumler is the NINTH active player in scoring in the NCAA.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 638 career wins over 33 seasons ... Hunter has been a head coach in 1,008 career games ... His 1,000th career game came in a 78-69 win over Limestone (11/26).
WCU vs. Georgia Southern Quick Series Hitters
The Last Time We Met: Western Carolina Grabs Road Win over Georgia Southern, 71-62
- The Catamounts and Eagles have MET 54 times prior to Saturday's contest ... WCU TRAILS in the series 14-20 all-time including a 14-15 mark in SoCon and a 5-9 slate in Statesboro;
- The Catamounts and Eagles split the two meetings in 2012-13 ... WCU lost 72-66 in Cullowhee (01/26), but pulled out a 71-62 win in Statesboro (02/09);
- The Catamounts have WON the last TWO meetings including last season's win and an 81-58 win on January 5, 2011.
- The FIRST meeting between the two schools came in 1948-49, before a two-game set in 1976-77 ... The series went to EVERY year when GSU joined the SoCon in 1992-93.
- WCU used a 17-5 run to start the second half after a back-and-forth first half to pick up the 71-62 win.
- Brandon Boggs
scored nine of his team-high 18 points in the second half ... He finished 8-of-11 from the floor with a pair of 3-point field goals;
- Trey Sumler
scored 17 points and Tawaski King
added 14 points and grabbed five rebounds;
- Tom Tankelewicz
grabbed a team-high and career-high eight rebounds.
- C.J. Reed scored a game-high 20 points -- 14 of which came in the first half for the Eagles.
- The game was tied at 34 at the half.
- The win for WCU snapped a four-game slide in 2012-13.
WCU Player Notes Against Georgia Southern
- Brandon Boggs has faced the Eagles six times in his Catamount career averaging 13.5 points per game ... In four games over the past two season he has averaged 16 points ... Boggs scored 18 points in the last meeting between the two schools.
- Tawaski King averages 10.7 points per game against GSU and 5.2 rebounds per game ... In four games over the last four games he has averaged 13 points per game and 6.0 rebounds per game ... King has shot 64.4 percent from the floor against GSU.
- Trey Sumler averages 13.8 points per game against GSU in six career games ... He is shooting 44.1 percent from the floor and 34.8 percent from three in his career ... He scored 23 points on January 5, 2011 at Georgia Southern.
- In his five games against GSU, Tom Tankelewicz averages 11.6 points per game ... Over the past two seasons he has averaged 14.5 points per game including a 20 point performance on January 26, 2013 vs. the Eagles.
Scouting the Eagles
- Georgia Southern comes into the meeting after an 80-78 WIN over Samford in Statesboro (01/04) in its SoCon opener;
- Jelani Hewitt LEADS the Eagles in scoring at 20.7 points per game ... Hewitt LEADS the SoCon in scoring as well;
- He is also the team LEADER in assists with 51 total assists;
- Tre Bussey follows at 18.4 points per game ... Bussey LEADS the SoCon in minutes played at 35.8 minutes per game;
- Angel Matias averages a TEAM-HIGH 6.9 rebounds per game;
- The Eagles give up an average of 71.8 points per game -- SECOND best mark in the SoCon ... They allow teams to shoot only 43.3 percent from the floor for the BEST mark in the league.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Catamounts RETURN back home Saturday, January 18 with Samford at 2 p.m.
- WCU TRAVELS to Wofford on Monday, January 30 for a 7 p.m. tipoff in the Benjamin Johnson Arena with the game scheduled for COVERAGE on ESPN3.
- The Purple & Gold COME BACK to Ramsey Center for Davidson on January 23 at 7 p.m. ... Ingles and WCU have JOINED up to celebrate the school's 125th anniversary during the game.