WCU continues its home stand with the SoCon opener Thursday.
Jan. 1, 2014
UNCG Game 16 Notes
Cullowhee, N.C. -
The Western Carolina men's basketball team continues its current three-game home stand as the Catamounts host UNCG Thursday, January 2 at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 7-8 overall after a 106-72 win over Milligan (12/30) ... Trey Sumler SCORED 40 points in the win;
- Sumler was the THIRD player in the SoCon and TENTH in the NCAA to score 40 or more points;
- He was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors on the season becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS;
- Sumler LEADS the Catamounts in SCORING at 19.8 points per game ... He is THIRD in the SoCon in points per game ... Sumler is ONE of only SIX players in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He has 1,696 points and handed out 414 assists ... Sumler is the NINTH active player in scoring in the NCAA.
- The Catamounts BROKE the SINGLE-GAME 3-point record with 20 made 3s in a win over Charleston Southern (12/18) ... Tom Tankelewicz TIED the WCU single-game mark with 10 three-pointers;
- The win snapped a THREE-GAME slide with losses to Coastal Carolina (12/04), 76-68, and to Wright State (11/30), 85-77.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 637 career wins over 33 seasons ... Hunter has been a head coach in 1,005 career games ... His 1,000th career game came in a 78-69 win over Limestone (11/26).
WCU vs. UNCG
- The Catamounts and Spartans have met 42 TIMES with WCU owning a 26-16 record in the series;
- WCU is 16-4 in Cullowhee against UNCG including a 62-59 on January 12, 2013 last season ... Trey Sumler scored 17 points in the win ... WCU went 2-0 against UNCG LAST season after defeating the Spartans 70-68 in Greensboro on February 16;
- The Catamounts have WON the last THREE meetings and 11 of the last 12;
- WCU has also WON the last FIVE meetings in the Ramsey Center.
Scouting the Spartans
- UNCG enters the game at 7-8 overall after a 68-64 LOSS against NC State on December 30 in Greensboro;
- The Spartans did pick up a 55-52 WIN over Virginia Tech -- a team that BEAT WCU 79-61.
- Kyle Cain LEADS UNCG in SCORING with 15.8 points per game followed by Tevon Saddler and Kayel Locke at 12.2 and 12.1 ppg respectively ... Cain also GRABS 8.6 rebounds per game -- second best mark in the SoCon;
- Cain LEADS the league with FIVE double-doubles;
- The Spartans LEAD the league in REBOUNDING MARGIN at a difference of +3.8 boards;
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Purple & Gold stay at HOME with Elon, who was picked to WIN the SoCon, on January 4 at 2 p.m.;
- A ROAD trip to Georgia Southern awaits WCU on January 11 at 2 p.m. in Hanner Fieldhouse.
- The Catamounts RETURN back home Saturday, January 18 with Samford at 2 p.m.