Sophomore Jacob Hoyle (1-2, 4.05) is scheduled to start for WCU on Tuesday at Wake Forest.
March 25, 2013
Last Week: 3-1
Tues. - Loss at Tennessee
Fri. - Win vs. Elon, 7-5
Sat. - Loss vs. Elon, 8-5
Sun. - Loss vs. Elon, 2-1
Tues. - Away at Wake Forest, 6:00 pm
Wed. - Away at Gardner-Webb, 6:00 pm
Friday - Home vs. The Citadel, 5:00 pm
Saturday - Home vs. The Citadel, 2:00 pm
Sunday - Home vs. The Citadel, 1:00 pm
Both mid-week games - Tuesday at Wake Forest and Wednesday at Gardner-Webb - will be broadcast by the Catamount Sports Network and can be heard online at www.CatamountSports.com ... Wednesday's game as well as Friday's series opener vs. The Citadel will be available on 540 AM WRGC in Sylva and online at www.WRGC.com.
Catamount Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina went 1-3 last week, falling midweek at Tennessee before losing two-of-three to Elon in a battle of the top two teams in the SoCon Coaches' preseason poll ... the Catamounts halted a six-game home losing skid to Elon with Friday's series-opening victory, 7-5, before falling on Saturday 8-5 and in the series rubber match, 2-1, in a pitcher's duel;
- WCU dropped its first official three-game series of the year last weekend with the two losses to Elon;
- Julian Ridings led WCU with a .529 (9-of-17) batting average last week, recording three multi-hit games among the four played on the week ... He twice had three hits in a game, finishing 3-for-5 at Tennessee before a 3-for-3 effort with a sacrifice hit in the series-opener with Elon ... He had three extra base hits including two doubles and his team-leading third triple of the season, adding a pair of stolen bases;
- After winning eight of 11 games from March 3 - 17, the Catamounts have now dropped four of their last six from March 16 - 24 ... WCU has dropped back-to-back games - its longest winless drought this season was a four-game slide in late February;
- The Catamounts have clawed their way up to fourth in the Southern Conference in batting, raising their seasonal average to .294 ... WCU's pitching staff now ranks second in overall team ERA at 4.10, and is tied for the league lead with seven runners picked off base and ranks second with 190 combined strikeouts ... WCU ranks fourth in the SoCon in field percentage (.961) with its 20 double plays turned ranking tied for third;
- According to available research, WCU reliever Tyler Powell ranks tied for eighth in the nation in terms of pitching appearances by percentage of team games played ... Powell has a team-leading 16 appearances in WCU's 24 games (.667), tied with Jimmie Sherfy of Oregon;
- Western Carolina is again out of the CollegeBaseballDaily.com Mid-Major polling after moving back into the "Others Receiving Votes" category following the series win at the College of Charleston ... WCU was ranked 14th in the preseason poll before advancing as high as eighth, but fell out on March 4 before returning to those in consideration on March 18;
- Seven of Western Carolina's 13 seasonal opponents to date have a .500-or-better record on the season ... Notably, WCU's season-opening opponent, Washington State, won 2-of-3 on the road at then 14th-ranked Arizona State.
Catamount Career Charts Watch:
- Senior closer Preston Hatcher picked up his fifth save of the year in Friday's series-opening win over Elon giving him 15 saves for his four-year career ... He moved into a tie for sixth all-time in WCU's career record books, matching former right-handed closer Daniel Ottone who had 15 saves from 2007-10;
- Senior infielder Tyler White moved into 17th place in WCU's record books for doubles, now with 46 in his career to tie him with former Catamounts Barrett Shaft (2005-08) and Steven Strausbaugh (2005-07) ... White additionally ranks ninth in hit by pitches (HBP) with 30 and is tied for fifth in sacrifice flies with 12, matching Ross Heffley (2009-12) and Blake Murphy (2004-08);
- Junior RHP Jordan Smith has moved into a tie for 21st in the school ledgers for career strikeouts, matching Ken Hare (1980, '82-84) with 165 career K's.
The Last Meeting
February 20, 2013
Catamount Baseball Downs Wake Forest, 7-2
A four-run first inning gave Western Carolina the momentum it needed to power past Wake Forest of the Atlantic Coast Conference at Childress Field / Hennon Stadium Wednesday afternoon. The Catamounts (3-1) also used three pitchers who just gave up three runs as senior LHP Adam Curtis tallied his first win of the season as the Deacons tallied their second loss of the season (3-2).
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Western Carolina opens back-to-back weeks with five games including two nonconference midweek tilts and a three-game SoCon series in Cullowhee on the weekend ... WCU plays the back-end of a home-and-home with Wake Forest on Tuesday (March 26) before visiting Gardner-Webb on Wednesday (March 27);
- WCU won the first game with the Demon Deacons, 7-2, back on Feb. 20 in Cullowhee, pulling even in the all-time series with the ACC-foe, 4-4 ... It was WCU's first victory over Wake Forest in Cullowhee coming in the first-ever meeting at Childress Field / Hennon Stadium ... WCU dropped the most recent series meeting in Winston-Salem, falling 2-1 in extra innings in 2011;
- Western Carolina holds a 58-134 (.302) all-time record against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) all-time ... the Catamounts have faced every current member of the ACC on the baseball diamond with the exception of Boston College ... WCU has faced Clemson the most with 69 meetings entering this season, followed by Georgia Tech (34) and North Carolina State (33);
- The Catamounts look to end a two-game winless drought against Gardner-Webb on Wednesday ... WCU fell on the road in 2012, 6-4, and tying the Runnin' Bulldogs due to weather in Cullowhee in 2011;
- The Catamounts host The Citadel in Southern Conference in Cullowhee on the weekend ... WCU has won two-straight over the Bulldogs, taking last year's road series, 2-1 ... the Catamounts have won five-straight games over the Cadets in Cullowhee, sweeping the 2011 series and taking the final two of the 2009 series;
- The Citadel enters this week at 15-9 (.625) overall and 4-2 in SoCon play, winning both of its first two league series over Samford and Wofford, 2-to-1 ... the Bulldogs are 4-5 in true road games this year ... The Citadel travels to Georgia Tech in midweek nonconference action on Tuesday before coming to Cullowhee to round out the month of March.
Western Carolina's Projected Starting Pitchers:
Tues. - Sophomore LHP Jacob Hoyle (1-0, 4.05 ERA) - will make third appearance, second career start
Wed. - Senior LHP Adam Curtis (1-1, 2.38 ERA) - returning from a team-mandated suspension
Fri. - Sophomore RHP Jeremy Null (2-1, 3.45 ERA) - 5-or-more K's in all five seasonal starts
Sat. - R-Senior LHP Morgan McKinney (1-2, 3.92 ERA) - only lasted 2.1 IP in most recent start
Sun. - Junior RHP Jordan Smith (1-3, 4.86 ERA) - tossed team-long 8.2 in Sunday's pitcher's duel