March 20, 2017
Season Record: 8-11 overall (L-2)
Thurs. -- L, vs. Kennesaw State, 12-3 -- Cullowhee, N.C.
Fri. -- W, vs. Kent State, 10-2 -- Cullowhee, N.C.
Sat. -- L, vs. Kent State, 16-10 -- Cullowhee, N.C.
Sun. -- L, vs. Kent State, 2-1 -- Cullowhee, N.C.
Games This Week:
Wed., March 22 -- vs. Gardner-Webb -- Childress Field / Hennon Stadium -- 5 pm (SDN)
Fri., March 24 -- at UNCG * -- Greensboro, N.C. -- 6:00 pm (ESPN3 / CSN)
Sat., March 25 -- at UNCG * -- Greensboro, N.C. -- 3:00 pm (YouTube / CSN)
Sun., March 26 -- at UNCG * -- Greensboro, N.C. -- 1:00 pm (YouTube / CSN)
* NOTE: Be sure to keep track of any weather-related schedule changes online at CatamountSports.com or through WCU Athletics' social media outlets on Facebook (fb.com/catamountsports) and Twitter (@catamounts or @WCUCatamountBSB).
Catamount Baseball Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina dropped three of its four games a week ago including the frontend of a midweek home-and-home with Kennesaw State on Thursday before dropping 2-of-3 to Mid-American Conference favorite, Kent State, in Cullowhee ... WCU won the three-game series opener, 10-2, on Friday before falling 16-10 on Saturday and 2-1 in a pitcher's duel on Sunday afternoon;
- With Friday's win over Kent State, Catamount head coach Bobby Moranda tallied his 292nd career win to move to within 10 victories of all-time winningest head coach, Jack Leggett (302, 302-226) ... Moranda, who has an all-time record of 292-236-2, is in his 10th season in Cullowhee;
- Collectively, WCU batted .339 in its weekend series with Kent State ... 11 of WCU's 38 base hits went for extra bases and the Catamounts ended up outscoring the Golden Flashes by one, 21-20, overall;
- Junior Spencer Holcomb paced the Catamount offense last week, batting .538 (7-for-13) with a pair of home runs and a team-best seven RBI ... the Pfafftown, N.C., native posted three multi-hit games, each coming in his three starts between DH and behind the plate ... Holcomb has a team-leading four home runs on the season, already tallying his career-best in a single-season;
- Catamount freshman Luke Robinson belted his first career home run on Saturday against Kent State, sending a towering, two-run shot down the right field line;
- Senior LHP Bryan Sammons collected his 23rd career victory on Friday in tossing 8.0 innings with eight strikeouts to remain perfect on the season, 4-0 ... the Wilmington, N.C., native scattered five hits while limiting the Golden Flashes to two runs, one earned, and just a .179 batting average against ... Sammons moved into sole possession of eighth-place in program history for career wins -- he is the winningest active pitcher currently in the SoCon ... Saturday was his 47th career start, moving him into a tie for fifth in program history, matching Stewart Keyes (47, 1986-89) ... Sammons additionally ranks eighth in school history with 253 career strikeouts;
- Sammons ranks fourth in the SoCon in ERA at 2.27, while his .184 collective batting average against this season leads the league ... Sammons also ranks fourth in the SoCon with 36 K's including 13 looking;
- WCU redshirt senior Bryson Bowman carries a team-long, 19-game reached base safely streak into play this week ... Bowman has reached base in each game played by WCU this season including having drawn 15 walks, tied for sixth ... Luke Robinson has an active seven-game reached safely streak, while Andrew Bullock has reached in five-consecutive and Spencer Holcomb has a four-game streak that coincides with his four-game hit streak;
- Western Carolina has three players tied for fifth with seven doubles entering the week -- Caleb Robinson, Matthew Koehler, and Matt Smith.
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Western Carolina has four games scheduled this week beginning on Wednesday evening by hosting Gardner-Webb (9-12) in the frontend of a midweek nonconference home-and-home in Cullowhee ... WCU leads the all-time series with the Runnin' Bulldogs, 14-6-1, including a 7-3-1 mark in games played in Cullowhee ... the two teams split the two seasonal meetings a year ago, both winning on their home field -- WCU out slugging Gardner-Webb, 16-14, in Cullowhee and the Runnin' Bulldogs blanking the Catamounts, 4-0, in Boiling Springs ... Wednesday's game will be streamed on the SoCon Digital Network;
Tuesday's Projected Pitching Match-Up:
WCU: Sr. LHP Dillon Bray (0-2, 9.00 ERA) vs. GWU: Fr. RHP Landon Mitchell (1-2, 8.44 ERA)
- Western Carolina travels to Greensboro this weekend for its Southern Conference opener, a three-game series against UNCG ... the Spartans were the preseason favorite in the SoCon according to the league head coaches with Western Carolina pegged third, while the voting media tabbed UNCG third, behind WCU in second place ... WCU went 2-1 against UNCG in Cullowhee a season ago, using the two wins to finish tied for second with the Spartans and securing the No. 2 seed by winning the head-to-head series ... the Catamounts dropped 2-of-3 in their last trip to UNCG back in 2015, but swept the Spartans in Greensboro in both 2013 and 2014 as a part of three-consecutive series in the Gate City;
- The Spartans have only left the Triad once this season -- a three-game, season-opening road series at then No. 4 South Carolina, dropping 2-of-3 against the Gamecocks ... Aside from that series, UNCG has played 16 games at home (11-5) with one road trip to nearby Winston-Salem, N.C., and a Wednesday night scheduled meeting at First National Bank Field in downtown Greensboro against cross-town rival, North Carolina A&T ... Including the three-game set against WCU and a midweek meeting with UNCA, UNCG will play 20 of its first 25 games on its home field.