Aaron Attaway sparked WCU's six-run eighth inning with the first of seven-straight hits in Sunday's series finale victory.
March 18, 2013
CATAMOUNT DIAMOND NOTES: WEEKLY WRAP-UP
Last Week: 3-1
Tues. - Win vs. Eastern Kentucky, 11-7
Fri. - Win at College of Charleston, 5-4
Sat. - Loss at College of Charleston, 6-4
Sun. - Win at College of Charleston, 10-6
Wed. - Away at Tennessee, 5:00 pm (*note the schedule change)
Friday - Home vs. Elon, 5:00 pm
Saturday - Home vs. Elon, 2:00 pm
Sunday - Home vs. Elon, 1:00 pm
Wednesday's game at Tennessee will be broadcast by the Catamount Sports Network and can be heard online at www.CatamountSports.com ... Air time is now 4:45 pm with a 5:00 pm first pitch.
Catamount Diamond Notes:
- For a second-consecutive week, Western Carolina posted a 3-1 record last week earning a midweek victory at home over Eastern Kentucky before taking two of three games from the College of Charleston at Patriot's Point ... WCU claimed a wild Friday night game, 5-4, with the Cougars rallying for a Saturday win, 6-4 ... WCU scored eight runs in the eighth and ninth innings to take the series on Sunday, 10-6;
- WCU has scored in the eighth-inning or later in a winning effort four times this season - including twice last week against EKU and game one vs. CofC;
- WCU's week-opening victory over Eastern Kentucky in Cullowhee was the Catamounts' seventh in the last eight Cullowhee meetings with the Colonels;
- WCU won its first-ever, three-game series over the College of Charleston at Patriot's Point ... Friday's series-opening victory win snapped a four-game road losing skid for WCU against the Cougars ... It was WCU's first series win over Charleston overall since 2010;
- Western Carolina turned a combined seven double plays last week including two in the home win over Eastern Kentucky and five in the series victory over the College of Charleston ... Six of the seven involved first baseman Austin Neary with second baseman Bradley Strong factoring in on five and shortstop Aaron Attaway in on four ... WCU also had a double-play on a strikeout - caught stealing as Tyler Powell fanned the batter, Cody Martin, at the plate and catcher Adam Martin caught Bradley Goodson trying to steal second on the same play in Friday's victory;
- WCU has 19 double plays on the season, second in the conference only to Samford with 21 overall;
- Aaron Attaway led Western Carolina on the week with a .444 batting average overall including two multi-hit games ... He amassed a .667 slugging percentage with a double and home run, driving home a team-leading seven RBI;
- Reliever Tyler Powell continues to pace the team in terms of appearances, pitching in 13 of WCU's 20 games on the season ... he's pitched in 65-percent of WCU's games on the season;
- Senior closer Preston Hatcher picked up his four save of the season in Friday's series-opening, 5-4, win over the College of Charleston ... Hatcher now has 14 saves in his four-year career to remain seventh in the program's all-time record book, just one shy of tying former Catamount Daniel Ottone (2007-10) for sixth on the list at 15 ... Ryan Foster recorded 22 saves from 2000-03 to rank first on the ledger;
- WCU has three pitchers with 100-or-more career strikeouts, with a fourth closing in on the century mark ... Jordan Smith has a team-high 160 strikeouts in his first three seasons with Preston Hatcher (102) and Jeremy Null (100) at-or-above the 100 mark ... Morgan McKinney has 96 career K's in his three seasons for the Purple & Gold;
- The Catamounts raised their collective seasonal batting average eight points over the weekend at the College of Charleston from .283 to .291 - doing so against arguably the best pitching staff in the SoCon ... WCU now ranks fifth in the league in hitting at .291 with its 18 home runs ranking fourth overall;
- Tyler White ranks tied for first in the SoCon with seven home runs, matching Bo Thompson of The Citadel and Phillip Ervin from Samford ... White paces the league with 59 total bases ... the Forest City, N.C., native moved into a tie for 19th in WCU's record books with Chris Davis (2002-05) with 45 career doubles.
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- With the Tennessee men's basketball team set to host Mercer in the first round of the NIT at 8:00 pm on Wednesday night, first pitch for the Western Carolina's baseball game against the Volunteers has been moved up one hour to 5:00 pm;
- WCU is just 7-18 all-time vs. Tennessee on the baseball diamond ... Wednesday is the first meeting between the two since 2010 when the squads split a home-and-home, both winning on the road ... WCU won the last road meeting in the series in `10 which saw the Catamounts hit four home runs and strikeout 12 Vol batters in 2010 ... the 2011 meeting scheduled for April was rained out and not made up ... WCU head coach Bobby Moranda has two wins against the Vols, also winning in his first season in 2008;
- Current Catamount assistant coach Alan Beck was on staff at Tennessee with former Volunteers - and Catamount - skipper, Todd Raleigh;
- The Catamounts host preseason coaches' favorite, Elon, in an early-season showdown next weekend, March 22-24 ... WCU took 2-of-3 from the Phoenix a year ago on the road, but were swept on the most recent Cullowhee meetings in 2011 only to upend Elon in the epic 20-inning game in the SoCon tournament ... All told, WCU has been swept each of the last two times it's hosted the Phoenix in Cullowhee, dropping six-straight games on the heels of winning six in a row at Childress Field / Hennon Stadium in the previous two SoCon series.