March 17, 2014
Seasonal Record: 11-7 overall
Last Week: 3-2
Tues. - L, at Georgia Tech, 7-5
Wed. - L, at Kennesaw State, 4-3 in 12 innings
Fri. - W, vs. Rider, 6-5
Sat. - Swept doubleheader vs. Rider, 23-8 and 11-3
Wed. - vs. East Tennessee State in Cullowhee - 5:00 pm
Fri. - at Elon in Elon, N.C. - 6:00 pm
Sat. - at Elon in Elon, N.C. - 4:00 pm
Sun. - at Elon in Elon, N.C. - 1:30 pm
The Last Meeting
April 25, 2012
Johnson City, Tenn.
Baseball Snaps Slide with 6-1 Win at East Tennessee State
Western Carolina plated four runs in a strong first inning showing on Wednesday night en route to snapping a season-long four-game losing skid with a 6-1 victory over former league foe, East Tennessee State at the Buccaneers' new on-campus Thomas Stadium. Three Catamount recorded two-RBI outings as WCU scored its seventh-straight victory over ETSU.
Catamount Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina went 3-2 last week, dropping two mid-week road games at Georgia Tech and Kennesaw State in extra innings before returning home to sweep three games against Rider ... the Catamounts hit .383 (41-of107) in the three-game sweep of the Broncs, the defending regular season champion out of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) ... WCU had 14 extra base hits including five doubles, four triples and five home runs at the plate while turning five double plays in the field and posting 23 combined strikeouts from the hill;
- In addition to Adam Martin belting three home runs last week, juniors Jacob Hoyle and Dale Urquhart Jr., also homered for WCU ... the Catamounts now have 13 home runs as a team this year, fourth in the SoCon ... WCU leads the SoCon with a .410 on-base percentage and have been plunked by a league-leading 35 pitches;
- With its three-game series sweep over the weekend in Cullowhee, WCU extended its home winning streak to a nation-leading 21-straight dating back to last season ... WCU is 8-0 at home this season ... According to available research, the previous WCU school-record for consecutive home wins since moving to Childress Field / Hennon Stadium in 1978 was 15 straight from April 15, 2001 until March 16, 2002 as WCU dropped the final game against Wofford in a home series to halt the run;
- Senior catcher Adam Martin was named SoCon Player of the Week after hitting .421 with five extra base hits and 14 RBI for WCU;
- Sophomore RHP Jonathan Waszak earned his first collegiate victory last week, tossing two thirds of an inning in Friday night's come-from-behind, 6-5, win over Rider ... Waszak made three appearances out of the bullpen last week, scattering four hits through 6.2 innings of work while posting a 1.62 ERA ... He matched a career-long with five relief innings at Georgia Tech;
- Freshman LHP Bryan Sammons started two games on the week, starting mid-week against Georgia Tech and making his first career weekend start in game one of Saturday's doubleheader against Rider ... Sammons went 1-1 on the week, moving to 4-1 on the year with a team-best fourth victory.
Catamount Career Charts Watch:
- Western Carolina senior Aaron Attaway has played in 188-straight career games, starting all 188 of his collegiate career ... According to available research, Attaway's active 188-career start streak is the second-longest in the NCAA - just two behind William & Mary senior, Ryan Lindemuth ... From the same research, Attaway has the most starts among players who have started every game of their careers;
- Senior starting pitcher Jordan Smith moved into sole possession of third place in school history with his 49th career start on Saturday, breaking the tie with Seth Foster who started 48 games from 2000-03 ... Smith claimed his 19th career win on Saturday, moving into a tie for 11th in program history with former pitchers Brandon Johnson (19, 2008-11), Chris Masters (19, 2007-09), Paul Menhart (19, 1988-90) and Rick Adair (1977-79);
- Smith additionally moved into fourth in program history with 301.1 career innings pitched - he is just the fourth Catamount hurler to eclipse 300 career innings on the mound ... Smith also ranks ninth on the career strikeouts ledger, currently with 227;
- With nine strikeouts in his Friday start against Rider, Jeremy Null moved into a tie for 14th in WCU's career record books with 211 career K's ... Null matched Ryan Basner's 211 K's from 2000-03 ... Null is just one of 15 different Catamount hurlers to surpass 200 career strikeouts;
- Junior infielder Bradley Strong moved into third-place on WCU's career charts with his 10th and 11th career triples in the series sweep over Rider ... With 11 three-baggers in his career, Strong is now tied for third with former Catamount Freddie Hailey who had 11 from 1984-87 ... Strong is just four triples shy of matching all-time record holder Martin Barrow (15, 1995-98);
- Senior Aaron Attaway is just two hits shy of climbing into the career top 20 in program history for base hits ... Attaway has 244 career hits, two shy of a three-way tie between Blake Murphy (246, 2004-08), Alex Tolbert (246, 1994-97) and Kevin Bellomo (246, 1988-91).
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Western Carolina has four games scheduled this week including a mid-week nonconference home game against former - and future - Southern Conference foe, East Tennessee State before traveling to Elon to open league play;
- WCU squares off with East Tennessee State - currently out of the Atlantic Sun Conference - in Cullowhee on Wednesday ... Western Carolina is 81-41 (.664) all-time record against teams currently in the Atlantic Sun Conference, a number bolstered by 87 all-time meetings with ETSU while the Bucs were a member of the SoCon (1978-2005) ... WCU leads the all-time series with ETSU, 59-28, including having won seven-straight head-to-head meetings and have claimed seven-straight over ETSU in Cullowhee dating back to 2005;
- The weekend's three-game league-opening series at Elon represents the sixth time in WCU head coach Bobby Moranda's seven years in Cullowhee that the Catamounts open SoCon play on the road ... WCU is just 4-11 in SoCon road games in the opening series ... WCU has won back-to-back conference-opening series, both coming on the road at The Citadel in 2012 and at Davidson in 2013;
- Dating back to last season, Western Carolina has won seven-straight Southern Conference series since dropping 2-of-3 at home to Elon in late March, 2013 ... the Catamounts have won 16 of their last 17 regular season league games.