March 11, 2013
CATAMOUNT DIAMOND NOTES: WEEKLY WRAP-UP
Last Week: 3-1
Tues. - Win at Georgia, 12-7
Fri. - Win at Davidson, 9-4 in 13 inn.
Sat. - Loss at Davidson, 7-5
Sun. - Win at Davidson, 5-2
Wed. - Home vs. Eastern Kentucky, 5:00 pm
Friday - Away at College of Charleston, 6:00 pm
Saturday - Away at College of Charleston, 2:00 pm
Sunday - Away at College of Charleston, 1:00 pm
All four games this week will be broadcast by the Catamount Sports Network and can be heard online at www.CatamountSports.com.
Catamount Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina posted a 3-1 record last week earning a midweek road victory over Georgia before taking 2-of-3 games from Davidson in its SoCon-opening weekend ... Won its second-straight game over Georgia matching its longest consecutive win streak all-times against the Bulldogs;
- WCU won its SoCon-opening game for the first time in the last four years, taking its league-opener at Davidson last Friday in 13 innings, 9-4 ... the Catamounts claimed their 13th-straight series over the Wildcats, winning Sunday 5-2 after dropping Saturday's game, 7-5;
- The Catamounts have played three extra inning games on the season, all coming away from home ... WCU won its first extra inning game in the SoCon series opener at Davidson in 13 innings on Friday night;
- Two Catamounts had big weeks in producing runs as Tyler White drove in eight and Luke Gragg drove in seven in the four games ... Gragg erased an 0-for-12 start to the season with a 7-for-14 performance last week, posting his first hit of the season at Georgia;
- Catamount freshman infielder Reece Strong collected his first collegiate base hit, pinch hitting for his older brother Bradley in the eighth inning of Saturday's game ... Reece singled to center field and later scored on the three-run home run by Gragg;
- Sophomore starter Jeremy Null
struck out double-digit batters for the second-time this season in his third start, holding the Davidson Wildcats hitless through the first five and a third innings in fanning 10 ... Earlier this year, Null was named a National Player of the Week by striking out 13 in seven innings against Washington State;
- Sophomore reliever Tyler Powell has appeared in 11 of WCU's 16 games to date on the season, pitching in 69-percent of the Catamounts games on the year ... He currently leads the team in ERA at 0.56, and is second on the team with 20 strikeouts in 16 innings of work;
- According to available research, Powell is ranked in the top six in the nation in percentage of games played at 11 of the 16 games (68.8%) ... LHP Bryce Danielson is right behind him having pitched in 10 of the 16 games for 62.5-percent.
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Amidst a stretch of playing eight of nine games away from home, Western Carolina returns to the friendly confines of Childress Field / Hennon Stadium for the lone home game of that span as it hosts Eastern Kentucky on Wednesday (March 15) evening in Cullowhee ... First pitch is scheduled for 5:00 pm;
- WCU played the Colonels twice a season ago, splitting the two-game set in Richmond, Ky., during the 2011 season ... the Catamounts have won six of the last seven meetings with EKU in Cullowhee;
- Catamount head coach Bobby Moranda is very familiar with the EKU program as he played two seasons in Richmond in 1985 and '86, helping EKU to a pair of Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) titles ... His first NCAA Division I home run with EKU came against Western Carolina in Cullowhee;
- This weekend, WCU visits the College of Charleston in SoCon play looking to snap a four-game road losing skid to the Cougars ... the Catamounts dropped all three meetings in 2011 and the series finale in 2009 ... WCU has not won a series over CofC since 2010, taking 2-of-3 in Cullowhee;
- WCU is expected to return several players back to its lineup this week after missing games the past two weeks serving suspensions for violating team rules.