Feb. 26, 2014
Seasonal Record: 4-2 overall
Last Week: 3-0
Tues. - W, vs. Winthrop, 8-0
Fri. - W, at Washington State, 13-1
Sat. - W, at Washington State, 8-6
Sun. & Mon. - at Washington State, Cancelled (Snow)
Fri. - Home vs. La Salle, 4:00 pm
Sat. - Home vs. La Salle, 2:00 pm
Sun. - Home vs. La Salle, 1:00 pm
Catamount Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina went 3-0 last week, winning its home-opener for a sixth-consecutive season, blanking Winthrop, 8-0 ... the Catamounts then won two against Pac-12 foe, Washington State - winning 13-1 and 8-6 - with the final two games of the series cancelled due to snow;
- WCU improved to 4-1 all-time against Washington State over the past two seasons, while improving to 7-3 all-time against teams in the Pac-12 conference ... On the season, WCU is 3-2 against the proverbial big conferences (1-2 vs. SEC, 2-0 vs. Pac-12);
- Western Carolina carries a three-game winning streak into its first home weekend series against LaSalle this Friday through Sunday in Cullowhee ... Including the home-opening victory over Winthrop back on Feb. 18, WCU has won 14-straight home games at Childress Field / Hennon Stadium dating back to last season ... the Catamounts' last home defeat came against then No. 17 Clemson back on April 9, 2013;
- WCU graced the ESPN's Week 2 Baseball Power Rankings in the "Five On Deck" portion, just outside the top 20 ranking ... WCU unofficially ranked 23rd on the listing ... One of WCU's opponents next week, the Clemson Tigers, ranked 12th on the list ... the Catamounts also appeared in the "Others Receiving Votes" category on the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Poll this week.
Catamount Career Charts Watch:
- Senior starting pitcher Jordan Smith moved into a tie for 15th on WCU's record books for career victories, scoring his 18th win all-time at Washington State on Saturday ... He additionally advanced to eighth in the program's archives for career innings pitched at 280.0 ... Smith also ranks fifth in career starts (46) and 10th in career strikeouts (216);
- With six strikeouts in his start at Washington State, Jeremy Null assumed sole possession of 16th in WCU's career record books with 190 career K's, breaking the tie with former Catamount Jerry Reed (184, 1974-77);
- Junior infielder Bradley Strong inched closer to the top 10 on WCU's career charts with his eighth career triple, leading off Saturday's victory over Washington Stat with a three-bagger ... Strong is one triple shy of tying for fifth with six other Catamounts with nine - and is just seven triples shy of all-time record holder Tracy Biggs (15, 1995-98).
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Western Carolina returned from the West Coast on Tuesday, but does not return to the diamond until Friday afternoon, welcoming the La Salle Explorers to Cullowhee for a three-game set this weekend ... the series marks the first meetings between the two programs since 1985 when the Explorers edged the Catamounts, 13-12, in the NCAA East Regional in Columbia, S.C., in the only other previous meeting;
- La Salle (1-6), which is located in Philadelphia, Pa., had its mid-week home-opening game against Lafayette postponed due to unplayable field conditions ... the Explorers are coming off a 24-29 season a year ago which included a school-record 15-9 mark in the Atlantic-10 ... La Salle was picked eighth out of the 12-team Atlantic-10 baseball conference in 2014;
- The WCU series marks the start of an eight-game southern excursion for La Salle which includes a two-game set at Tennessee (March 4-5) and a three-game set against USC Upstate (March 7-9).