ARTICLE I: NAME
Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame.
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame is to recognize and honor those persons whose outstanding contributions have enriched the athletic programs of Western Carolina University, and to provide an enduring memorial and preserve for posterity the memories of those persons whose endeavors brought distinction to the University.
ARTICLE III: NOMINATION AND SELECTION
Section A: Nominations shall be accepted from the general public to the Western Carolina University Hall of Fame Committee through a standard nomination form. Nominations submitted after the annual published deadline will be tabled until the following year. Nominees shall remain eligible for five (5) years and, if not elected in that period of time, must be re-nominated for further consideration.
Section B: Nomination forms can be found online at CatamountSports.com, or a formal letter can be forwarded to Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame. Support materials, such as statistics, records, and newspaper articles are desired, as is other pertinent information. Questions regarding the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame may be directed to email@example.com.
Section C: The Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame shall accept nominations no later than one month prior to the annual Hall of Fame selection meeting. Records and pertinent induction information will be communicated to the committee members no later than two weeks prior to the annual selection meeting. There will be no more than four (4) inductees selected on an annual basis (three athletic and a possible fourth "honorary" inductee). An honored team selected will count as one inductee.
Section D: Selection to the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame shall be made annually by the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame Committee. A majority vote shall determine the selection of an inductee.
Section E: The Hall of Fame Executive Committee will meet to review and approve Western Carolina University Hall of Fame nominees to ensure that all nominees have met the induction criteria. After the nominees have been approved, the names will be forwarded to the Western Carolina University Hall of Fame Committee to conduct the voting process. The Hall of Fame Executive Committee will consist of the Athletics Hall of Fame Coordinator, Athletics Department Hall of Fame Liaison/Hall of Fame Treasurer, Western Carolina Director of Athletics Media Relations/Hall of Fame Secretary, the Western Carolina Athletics Community Relations Designee and a designee appointed by the existing committee members.
ARTICLE IV: COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
Section A: Members of the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame Committee volunteer their time. The committee will consist of a minimum of fifteen (15) members; twelve (12) voting and three (3) non-voting.
Section B: Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame membership will consist of the following:
1. Western Carolina Director of Athletics (non-voting)
2. Western Carolina Senior Woman Administrator / Hall of Fame Liaison / Treasurer (non-voting)
3. Western Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame Coordinator (non-voting)
4. Director of Athletic Media Relations/Hall of Fame Executive Committee Secretary (voting)
5. Director Western Carolina Alumni Affairs (voting)
6. Faculty Athletics Representative (voting)
7. "W" Club Lifetime Member (voting)
8. Western Carolina Athletics Community Relations Designee (voting)
9. Catamount Club Board of Directors representative (voting)
10. Hall of Fame Inductee 1950 - 1959 (voting)
11. Hall of Fame Inductee 1960 - 1969 (voting)
12. Hall of Fame Inductee 1970 - 1979 (voting)
13. Hall of Fame Inductee 1980 - 1989 (voting)
14. Hall of Fame Inductee Athlete 1990 - 1999 (voting)
15. Hall of Fame Inductee 2000 - (5 year date that makes one eligible for induction) (voting)
Section C: The terms of the committee members are as follows:
- Western Carolina Athletics Staff - As long as employed
- Faculty Athletics Representative - As long as holds office
- Director of Western Carolina Alumni Affairs - As long as employed
- Hall of Fame Coordinator - Five (5) year term, with the option to be renewed
- Western Carolina Community Relations Designee - Five (5) year term, with the option to be renewed
- Hall of Fame Inductees - Three (3) year term, with the option to be renewed
- "W" Club Lifetime Member - Three (3) year term, with the option to be renewed
- Catamount Club Board of Directors representative - Two (2) year term, with the option to be renewed
Section D: An Executive Committee will be established out of the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame Committee to handle all administrative tasks and to evaluate and nominate the Hall of Fame inductees and "W" Club Lifetime Member to sit on the Hall of Fame Committee as voting members. The Hall of Fame Executive Committee will consist of five (5) individuals: the Athletics Hall of Fame Coordinator; Athletics Department Hall of Fame Liaison (SWA)/Hall of Fame Treasurer; Western Carolina Director of Athletics Media Relations/Hall of Fame Secretary; the Western Carolina Athletics Community Relations Designee, and the WCU Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR).
Section E: There are two mandated meetings: a business meeting and a selection meeting. However, the committee may meet as often as is necessary. All meetings shall be conducted according to Robert's Rules of Order.
ARTICLE V: HALL OF FAME CLASS VOTING PROCESS
Section A: A sealed ballot vote will take place during the spring Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame Committee meeting. Committee members with voting privileges may have up to 10 votes in the first round. The top ten (10) vote getters will move to the second round. In the second round voting members will vote on their top three (3) nominees. The three nominees receiving a minimum of 66% (two-thirds) of the ballots (not votes) will receive induction invitations for the upcoming Hall of Fame class.
In the event that a voting member is unable to attend the annual selection meeting, votes via absentee ballot may be submitted to the Western Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame Coordinator prior to the meeting.
Section B: The voting of the honorary nominees will take place on a separate voting ballot, and the sole inductee must receive at least two-thirds majority vote. Each round of voting will follow the same procedure set forth in Section A.
ARTICLE VI: THE HALL OF FAME CEREMONY & LOCATION
Section A: The WCU Athletic Department, in conjunction with the Western Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame Committee, will host a Hall of Fame ceremony annually.
Section B: Western Carolina's Athletics Hall of Fame is a location where the greatest are gathered, remembered and celebrated, and where their place in history is established. The Western Carolina University Department of Athletics and the Ramsey Regional Activity Center shall maintain a public display of all of the members of the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame in an appropriate place of honor as determined by the Director of Athletics and the Ramsey Regional Activity Center, in collaboration with the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame Committee.
ARTICLE VII: MARKETING & PUBLICITY OF THE HALL OF FAME
Publicity of the induction of those selected shall be provided by the Western Carolina Office of Athletics Media Relations, in collaboration with the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame committee.
ARTICLE VIII: CRITERIA FOR INDUCTION
All statistical verification will come from the Western Carolina Office of Athletics Media Relations.
Section A: Athletic
a) Individual: A student-athlete must have competed two (2) full seasons in one sport or one (1) full season in two or more sports, and have attended WCU for a minimum of two (2) years.
I. Former student-athletes must have made outstanding athletic contributions to their program(s) including, but not restricted to:
All-conference, All-state, All-region, All-district
Conference Player of the Year
Individual conference champion
University, conference and/or world record setting performances
National Player of the Year
Led the nation in a recognized statistical category
Professional sports performance
Participation in multiple sports at the intercollegiate varsity level
ii. Must be out of school for a minimum of five (5) years; - A posthumous nominee can be exempt from the five-year rule. iii. The student-athlete must have left the university in good academic standing.
iv. The student-athlete must have demonstrated good citizenship, both in college and after leaving the university.
- Conference championship
- National ranking or recognition
- Competed for a national title
- Team honors and/or comparable achievements/standards of previous Hall of Fame inducted teams
- Members of the team must have served as positive ambassadors for the university
- A team shall be formally inducted when ALL of its members have satisfied the individual five (5) year waiting requirement set forth above.
c) Coach and/or Administrator
i. The coach and/or administrator must have served at WCU for at least five years and have retired or been separated from Western Carolina for at least five (5) years prior to being inducted.
ii. The coach and/or administrator must have left the university in good standing.
Section B: Honorary Honorary induction into the Western Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame is given to an individual who has earned the highest degree of respect, reputation and distinction. Nominees must have documented evidence of significant contributions to Western Carolina Athletics and/or the athletics industry, or accomplished other professional achievements.
ARTICLE IX: CONSTITUTIONAL REVIEW
The Western Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame Committee, in consultation with the Western Carolina Athletic Department, is able to review and amend the Athletics Hall of Fame Constitution on an annual basis.
- Constitution ratified by the WCU Athletics Hall of Fame committee on June 21, 2014;
- Corrections proposed in April 9, 2016 meeting and included above from January 18, 2017 meeting;
- Revisions proposed at the July 21, 2017 Executive Committee meeting were reviewed at the Hall of Fame Committee Meeting on Oct. 14, 2017 and ratified