To Be The Best...
A. STRATEGIC ACTIONS
1. Continue to enhance our efforts in the following areas: academic progress and graduation for student-athletes; opening lines of communication throughout campus; competitiveness for all teams; rules compliance through the Southern Conference and the NCAA. Emphasize sportsmanship for teams and fans.
2. Begin the implementation of the strategic plan to include the annual Gender Equity and Minority plans.
3. Continue to update and assess progress on the Athletics Task Force Report.
4. Develop common emblems, marks, and colors in the Department of Athletics and continue efforts to establish a licensing/merchandising program for the University
5. Finish the planning, development and construction of the capital improvements to athletics facilities. To include: west stands, strength and conditioning facility, Soccer Track and Tennis Complex, and Baseball field.
B. TACTICAL ACTIONS
1. Increase the promotion and awareness of the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program.
2. Continue to reach out to regional high schools to encourage athletic competitions and/or championships on our campus.
3. Continue the development of the newly formed Cats W Club former athlete organization.
4. Investigate, recommend, and implement incentive based compensation packages for coaches.
5. Develop and initiate new services in the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes.
6. As a department assist the Catamount Club in its efforts to increase fund raising for Athletics.
7. Win more championships and improve standing in the SoCon Cups.
Athletics Department Goals for 2002-2003 Page 2
C. OPERATIONAL ACTIONS
1. Conduct a technology assessment and develop a long-range plan to upgrade various components to include digital video, copiers, and desktop computers.
2. Evaluate content on the Web and prepare for possible change in service provider.
3. Work with various constituencies (students, fans, and local community groups) to increase attendance and support at athletic events.
4. Market and implement a courtesy car program.
5. Provide additional opportunities for staff and coaches to interact socially.
6. Develop travel policies and assess travel budgets for each team.
7. Institute an annual evaluation for student-athletes to assess their experience at Western.