Feb. 8, 2005
Cullowhee, N.C. -
Western Carolina is asking for your help in nominating former Catamount student-athletes as possible members of the Athletics Department Hall of Fame Class of 2005. Nominations are currently being accepted and the process will be open until March 1.
The nomination process is open to the general public, as well as those in the Catamount community. The Hall of Fame committee will meeting on Saturday (Mar. 12) to review the nominations. The WCU Hall of Fame Class of 2005 is set to be announced in April.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF INDUCTEES
1. The nominee must have distinguished himself/herself through outstanding contributions while representing Western Carolina University as a student-athlete, coach or associate of the Athletic Department.
2. The inductee must have given outstanding contributions which have enriched the athletic program.
3. Five (5) years must have elapsed since the student-athletes participated at the University or since the association with the Athletic Department has ended.
4. A posthumous awardee will be exempt from the five (5) year rule.
5. There will be ten (10) voting members of the committee. The Athletic Director and the recording secretary will be non-voting members. If the recording secretary is chosen from the voting membership, the secretary will retain the rights of a voting member.
6. To be inducted into the Hall of Fame, a nominee must receive seven (7) out of the ten (10) possible votes.
7. All inductees will be subject to final review and approval by the Chancellor of Western Carolina University.
8. If an inductee or appropriate representative cannot be present, at the request of the inductee or representative, the induction shall be postponed until the following year.
Please access the accompanying .PDF for an official nomination form.
WCU Hall of Fame Nomination Form in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader
Nominations are to be mailed to:
WCU Hall of Fame
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
Western Carolina's Previous Hall of Fame Induction Classes:
1990: Art Bryd, Patrick Cheung, Judy Green, Jim Gudger, Henry Logan,
C.C. Poindexter, Dan Robinson, Ronald Rogers, Betty
Westmoreland Suhre, Wayne Tolleson, Tom Young
1991: Clinton Dodson, Dr. Walter Durr, Nora Lynn Finch, Jerry
Gaines, Anthony James, Danny Tharpe
1992: Jayne Arledge, Jean Dowell, Mel Gibson, Odell Griffin, Hugh
Hamilton, Gerald Harp, Carl Ratcliffe, Bobby Setzer, Frank
Stankunas, Jim Williams, Ralph Sutton (Patron Award)
1993: Bob Waters, E.J. Whitmire (Patron Award), Dr. Wallace Hyde (Patron Award)
1994: Willie Carpenter, Susan Bulloch Hartsell, Harris Pryor,
Jerry Reed, Dr. Quinn Constantz (Patron Award)
1995: Don Dalton, Robyn Keeler Livesay, Tommy "Bromo" Selzer,
1996: Bill Haywood, Emily Holliday, Kirk Roach, Steve Williams,
Greg Whitman, Dr. Jim Hamilton (Patron Award)
1997: Sam Ardrey, Dean Biasucci, Greg Dennis, Otis McIntosh,
1998: Regina Brown, Clint Fairley, George "Tiger" Greene, Charles,
"Babe" Howell, Ken Morgan, Dr. Charles Schrader,
Gurney Chambers (Patron Award)
1999: Ronnie Carr, Freddie Hailey, Judy Stroud, Steve White,
Jimmy Childress (Patron Award)
2000: Jeff Gilbert, Jim Hartbarger, Tommy Lavelle, Eric Rasheed,
Cindi Saltz Simmons
2001: Jack Leggett, Brett Miller, Bruce Peterson,
Karen Sanders Peterson
2002: Paul T. Jones, Keith LeClair, Lori Lyons-Wilson,
Clyde Simmons, Thomas "Bubba" Wilson
2003: 1963 Men's Basketball Team, 1969 Women's Basketball Team,
1983 Football team
2004: Susie Gardner-Mayhorn, Darrell Lipford, Matt Raleigh, Denny
Williams, Larry Stanberry (Patron Award)