Score: Western Carolina 2, Gardner-Webb 1
Records: Western Carolina 1-0, Gardner-Webb 0-2
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Freshman defender Summit Dann made her first collegiate soccer match one to remember as her game-winning goal at the 89th minute lifted Western Carolina women’s soccer to a 2-1 season and home-opening win over Gardner-Webb Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
As the game was heading to overtime, Western Carolina avoided the extra frame with a game-winning goal in the final minute of regulation to top Gardner-Webb 2-1.
- Senior Julia Winter scored Western Carolina’s first goal of the 2019 season in the opening minute of the second half.
- Dann notched the game-winning goal.
- Junior goalkeeper Natalia Icen played the full 90 minutes earning the win in goal.
Inside the Box Score
- Gardner-Webb struck first scoring in the 27th minute of the first half.
- The Catamounts came out with a purpose in the second half. WCU’s Winter took a pass from fellow senior Emily Zipay weaving into the box and heading it into the goal.
- Dann scored the game-winning goal in the final minute of the game. She took the ball to about 15 yards out and sent the ball into the left side of the goal.
- Western Carolina took 18 shots in the game to Gardner-Webb’s seven.
- The Catamounts possessed the ball 61 percent of the time in the game.
- The Catamounts took 13 of their 18 shots in the second half.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina is now 8-0 against Gardner-Webb all-time.
- Winter’s goal was the second goal of her career in her second year as a Catamounts.
- The Catamounts are 11-10 all-time in season openers.
Western Carolina hosts Middle Tennessee at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 29 at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.