Score: Western Carolina 9, Samford 4; Samford 9, Western Carolina 3
Records: Western Carolina 13-22, 2-6 SoCon, Samford 16-25, 5-3 SoCon
Location: Catamount Softball Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina softball split Saturday’s Southern Conference doubleheader with visiting Samford taking game one 9-4 before dropping the nightcap 9-3.
Western Carolina 9, Samford 4
Western Carolina scored in five of the six innings they were at bat and hit four homeruns.
How it Happened
- The Catamounts jumped out to an early 1-0 lead from a Samford wild pitch. Ashlyn Long drew a lead-off walk and moved all the way to third from Shaina Reed’s single. Long scored from the wild pitch.
- Reed and Long were in the mix again in the third inning. Long was hit by a pitch and Bailey Huneycutt singled. The pair score from a three-run home run by Reed.
- Samford got on the board in the fourth from a solo home run.
- Kayla Brewer hit a two-run home run in the fourth inning which also scored Lindsay Perillo who singled past third base.
- Reed hit her second home run of the game in the fifth inning which also scored Huneycutt who led off the inning with a single.
- Samford cut the Catamount lead in half, 8-4, plating three runs in the top of the sixth.
- Long got back one of the Catamount runs in the bottom of the sixth with her solo home run.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina hit four homeruns in the game, two from Reed. Brewer and Long also hit homeruns in the game.
- Senior hurler Shaina Reed got the start and picked up the win improving to 5-11 on the year. She tossed 5.2 innings giving up four runs on nine hits and struck out three.
- Kinsey Liscio relieved Reed in the fifth inning with two outs. She closed out the game pitching 1.1 scoreless innings earning her first save of the season.
- Reed went 3-for-4 at the plate with two homeruns and five RBI.
- Huneycutt and Perillo each had two hits in the contest.
Samford 9, Western Carolina 3
Samford scored seven runs in the top of the sixth after trailing 2-0 eventually scoring nine unanswered runs.
How it Happened
- Western Carolina scored first plating a run in the bottom of the first. Huneycutt led off the inning with a double, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Madison Armstrong and scored off a wild pitch.
- The Catamounts added a second run in the bottom of the fifth. With two outs, and Perillo on first Hunter Gibbons singled to left field for runners on first and second. Reed singled and Perillo moved all the way from second to home for the score.
- Samford scored seven runs in the top of the sixth.
- The Catamounts had bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth, looking to climb back into the game, but a fly out to left field ended the threat.
- Samford added two more runs in the top of the seventh.
- Reed hit a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh.
Inside the Box Score
- Liscio got the start and went five innings giving up two runs on six hits and left with a no-decision as the game was tied 2-2 when she departed.
- Brewer replaced Liscio and went 0.2 innings giving up three runs on two walks. Brewer takes the loss falling to 2-3 on the year.
- Kylie Shay replaced Brewer and did not record an out giving up one run on two hits.
- Liscio came back in with two outs in the sixth to end the inning. She closed out the game.
- Gibbons, Reed and Erica Hayes each had a pair of hits in the game.
News & Notes
- Reed hit three homeruns in the doubleheader pushing her seasonal total to seven which is a career-best for her and now leads the team.
- In the last seven games, Reed is hitting .412 with seven hits, five runs scored, four homeruns and eight RBI.
- Western Carolina won the opening game of the series against a conference opponent for the second-straight week.
- The win in the first game of the doubleheader against Samford halted the Catamounts’ four-game losing streak.
Western Carolina completes the three-game series with Samford at 11 a.m. Sunday.
For the latest information on Catamount softball, follow @catamounts and @wcusoftball on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.