Score: Western Carolina 3, Mercer 2
Records: Western Carolina 13-17, 1-3 SoCon; Mercer 13-21, 0-1 SoCon
Location: Sikes Field, Macon, Ga.
Macon, Ga. – Western Carolina softball held on to defeat Mercer 3-2 Friday at Sikes Field for the Catamounts’ first Southern Conference win of the season.
Western Carolina scored two runs in the top of the sixth with the eventual game-winning second run off a Bears’ error.
How it Happened
Shaina Reed’s solo home run in the top of the second scored the first run of the game and gave Western Carolina a 1-0 lead.
The Catamounts tacked on two runs in the top of the sixth. Ashlyn Long was hit by a pitch to open the inning. A perfectly placed sacrifice bunt by Lindsay Perillo pushed Long to second and groundout by Hunter Gibbons moved Long to third. Long scored off an RBI single by Kailey McNeil. Bailey Huneycutt followed with a single and McNeil would go on to score from a Bear error.
Mercer cut the Catamount lead to one scoring a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Western Carolina sat down the Bears in order in the bottom of the seventh to hold on for the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina had four hits in the game and left four runners on base.
- The Mercer had three hits in the contest and stranded eight runners.
- Senior Reed tossed her second-straight complete game to pick up the win and improve to 4-9 on the year. She allowed three hits and didn’t allow an earned run and struck out two.
- Mercer got its lead-off runner on in five of the seven innings.
News & Notes
- Gibbons pushed her on-base streak to 13-straight games. Long and Huneycutt have reached base safely in the last eight contests.
- Huneycutt moved her hitting streak to seven consecutive games.
- In her last two appearances, Catamount pitcher Reed has tossed two complete games, had one shutout, has not allowed an earned run and allowed seven hits.
- Western Carolina has now won three-straight games and 4-6 over the last 10 games.
Western Carolina concludes its Southern Conference series at Mercer Saturday with a doubleheader set to begin at 1 p.m. The twin-bill will be broadcast on ESPN3.
For the latest information on Catamount softball, follow @catamounts and @wcusoftball on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.