Score: Oregon State 2, Western Carolina 0,
Records: Western Carolina 8-10
Location: Smith Field, Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles, Calif. – Western Carolina softball strung together an impressive performance in the Catamounts’ tough 2-0 loss to Oregon State in the final day of the LMU Tournament.
The Catamounts outhit the Beavers 7-to-4 but just couldn’t get the lucky break to swing their way. With runners on base as the Catamounts had two runners on in the top of the seventh but couldn’t push a runner across.
Oregon State scored a run in the first and added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth.
How it Happened
The Beavers scored early plating a run in the bottom of the first.
Western Carolina had a golden chance to score in the fifth inning when Ashlyn Long reached first on a dropped third strike to reach base in what would have been the third out. Back-to-back singles by Lindsay Perillo and Hunter Gibbons loaded the bases but pop up to second base ended the Catamount scoring chance.
Oregon State added a second run in the game a lead-off walk turned into a run thanks to an RBI double.
The Catamounts attempted a rally in the top of the seventh when pinch hitter Cheyenne Matthews laced a frozen rope to left center to lead off the inning. With one out Perillo singled down the first base line to place the tying run on first. Hunter Gibbons just missed getting a ball past the third baseman but pinch hitter Alexis Lankford was erased at third for the fielder’s choice for Gibbons. A ground out to the pitcher ended the Catamounts’ hope of a rally.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Shaina Reed tossed a complete game allowing just two runs on four hits and striking out five. She falls to 2-5 on the year.
- Erica Hayes had the only extra base hit for the Catamounts logging a double in the sixth inning.
- Perillo led the game with a pair of hits.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina went 1-and-4 in the tough LMU Tournament this weekend.
- The Catamounts are on a three-game losing streak.
- Gibbons led the Catamounts for the weekend in the tournament batting .231 with three hits.
Western Carolina travels to Santa Barbara, Calif. to take on UC Santa Barbara Tuesday. The doubleheader is set to begin at 3 p.m. eastern time.
For the latest information on Catamount softball, follow @catamounts and @wcusoftball on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.