Score: Western Carolina 3, Sacred Heart 1
Records: Western Carolina 7-6, Sacred Heart 4-6
Location: Catamount Softball Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Senior outfielder Hunter Gibbons broke the record for RBI in a career in Western Carolina softball’s 3-1 home opening win over Sacred Heart Wednesday- at the Catamount Softball Complex.
Western Carolina held Sacred Heart scoreless for 5.2 innings and scored runs in the first and third before the Pioneers plated a run in the top of the sixth. WCU added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth.
How it Happened:
- Freshman Lindsay Perillo hit a one-out double and went around to score the first run of the game for the Catamounts off a Sacred Heart error.
- Gibbons sacrifice fly RBI plated the Catamounts’ second run of the game. Ashlyn Long scored off Gibbons’ sacrifice when she walked and motored all the way to third off Perillo’s sacrifice bunt.
- Sacred Heart cut the Catamount lead in half with a solo home run in the top of the sixth.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, Gibbons added another RBI to her record-breaking performance scoring Long, who reached on a single, off an RBI double.
- Sacred Heart got the tying run on in the top of the seventh with runners on first and second and two outs but a fly out to right field ended the Pioneer threat.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina had eight hits in the game.
- Long, Gibbons and Armstrong each had a pair of hits.
- Junior hurler Kinsey Liscio tossed her fourth complete game in her sixth start of the season improving her overall record to 4-1 on the year. She gave up six hits, one run and struck out five.
News & Notes
- Long pushes her hitting streak to six-straight.
- Gibbons has now broken the home run record and RBI record in the span of five days.
- Gibbons ranks fifth in the WCU record books after hitting her 30th career double in the game against the Pioneers. She is one double behind teammate Madison Armstrong who sits in fourth place with 31. The record is 37 held by former Catamount Courtney Price.
- Liscio’s four wins on the season lead the Catamount pitching staff.
Western Carolina heads out west to Los Angeles, Calif. to participate in the Loyola Marymount Tournament. The Catamounts will face New Mexico at 1:15 p.m. and host Loyola Marymount at 5:45 p.m. both eastern time.
For the latest information on Catamount softball, follow @catamounts and @wcusoftball on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.