Score: Chattanooga 2, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 7-4, 1-1 SoCon; Chattanooga 7-3-2, 2-1 SoCon
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer dropped its Southern Conference home opener 2-0 to Chattanooga Friday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Chattanooga scored two second-half goals holding WCU scoreless.
- Chloe Arnold and Samantha Shaw each scored goals for Chattanooga.
- Western Carolina freshman Payton Creed had four shots, three on goal.
Inside the Box Score
- After a scoreless first half, Chattanooga scored at the 48th minute on a fluke play. Arnold took what looked like hail-Mary shot about 25 yards out. The Ball pinged off the middle part of the crossbar as Western Carolina goalie Melody Mezzina lunged for it and the ball bounced off the crossbar and back into the goal.
- The Mocs scored an insurance goal at the 82nd meeting when Mezzina was pulled out of the box and Shaw found the back of the goal.
- The Catamounts had plenty of chances with 13 shots with five on goal.
- Western Carolina had some nice looks at the goal but many of the shots were just wide.
- At the 72nd minute, Julia Winter had a nice look at the goal but her shot was blocked.
- Mezzina takes the loss in goal and falls to 5-3 on the year.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina was shutout for the second time this season.
- The Catamounts fall to 4-2 at home.
- Chattanooga has now won four-straight against Western Carolina.
- The Catamounts are 3-2 over the last five games.
- Western Carolina’s seven wins on the season are just one shy of tying it wins total of eight in 2018.
Western Carolina hosts Samford at 6 p.m. Sunday to close out the Catamounts two-match homestand.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.