Score: North Florida 3, Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina 6-3, North Florida 5-3-2
Location: Hodges Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Western Carolina women’s soccer had its three-match winning streak snapped with a 3-1 loss to North Florida Sunday at Hodges Stadium,
North Florida scored two quick goals in the opening 16 plus minutes of the match, and added a third at 30 plus minutes, riding the three first-half goals to victory.
Freshman goalkeeper Melody Mezzina had two saves in the match and allowed three goals. She falls to 4-2 on the season.
Inside the Box Score
- North Florida scored at 14:45 after a corner kick set the ball to the right side of the goal. A pass inside the box led to a header goal.
- The Osprey struck again two minutes later, at the 16:01 mark, scoring the second goal of the first half sending the ball into the low right side of the net.
- North Florida tacked on a third goal in the first half at 30:46.
- Western Carolina avoided the shutout getting on the scoreboard at the 57:51 mark. The ball was sent from the left side of the goal to senior Julia Winter on the right side passing it to freshman Payton Creed, right in front of the goal, and she found the back of the net on the low right side of the net.
- Western Carolina had a total of four shots in the contest, two in the first and two in the second, while North Florida had six.
News & Notes
- The first goal by North Florida, in the first half, halted Mezzina’s 180 plus minutes of not allowing a goal.
- Western Carolina ended non-conference play with a record of 6-3 and 3-2 on the road.
- The 6-3 record to open the 2019 season is the best start for a Catamount program since the 2007 squad also opened that season with a 6-3 record.
- Creed scored her second goal of the season.
Western Carolina opens Southern Conference play on the road Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. at ETSU.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.