Score: Western Carolina, 1, Davidson 0
Records: Western Carolina 3-1, Davidson 2-3
Location: Alumni Stadium, Davidson, N.C.
DAVIDSON, N.C. – Senior midfielder Julia Winter scored the game-winning goal late in the second half as Western Carolina women’s soccer shutout Davidson 1-0 Thursday at Alumni Stadium.
Western Carolina broke a scoreless tie scoring the lone goal of the game with under seven minutes left in the game.
- Winter scored the game-winning goal for Western Carolina finishing the game with three shots.
- Senior Emily Threatt led the Catamounts with four shots including two shots on goal.
- Rookie goalkeeper Melody Mezzina earned her second start of the season and picked up her first win improving to 1-1 on the season with two saves in the match.
Inside the Box Score
- As the match was staring down the possibility of overtime, Winter ended that threat scoring at the 83:43 mark. She cleared the ball by the defender, taking the ball from Reily Nelson, who earned the assist, scoring into the right side of the net.
- Western Carolina had 11 shots in the match while Davidson had seven. The Wildcats had just two shots in the first half.
- Threatt had a chance to give WCU the lead about 20 minutes before Winter scored when the Catamounts were awarded a penalty kick at 67:11 but the Wildcat goalie snagged the ball for a save.
News & Notes
- The Catamounts have now shot a penalty kick in the three consecutive games hitting two of three.
- Western Carolina has scored nine goals in the first four games of the season with Winter being the only Catamount to have scored more than one goal this season with two.
- The shutout of Davidson is the first time this season Western Carolina has held a team scoreless.
- WCU’s win over the Wildcats halts a three-game losing streak against Davidson. The Catamounts are now 6-10-1 against Davidson.
- Western Carolina is now on a two-game winning streak.
- The goal by Winter is the second time this season a Catamount player has scored a game-winning goal in the final 10 minutes of the match.
Western Carolina travels to Charlotte Sunday for a 1 p.m. match with the 49ers.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.