Score: Middle Tennessee 4, Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina 1-1, Middle Tennessee 3-0
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Middle Tennessee scored a goal in the first half and three in the second to defeat Western Carolina women’s soccer 4-1 Thursday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Middle Tennessee scored three of its four goals in the second half.
- Senior Emily Threatt scored Western Carolina’s lone goal in the second half against the Blue Raiders.
- Middle Tennessee’s Peyton DePriest, who was the 2018 Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year, scored two goals for the Blue Raiders.
Inside the Box Score
- Middle Tennessee scored its first goal in the 40th minute of the first half when Campbell Kivisto took a shot about 15 yards out and sent it in at the top middle part of the goal.
- The Blue Raiders went up 2-0 with a goal at the 67th minute of the second half.
- The Catamounts avoided the shutout when WCU was awarded a penalty kick at the 70th minute. A foul was called on the Blue Raiders inside the box and Threatt scored the goal helping Western Carolina avoid the shutout.
- Middle Tennessee scored two goals in a two-minute span, 86:17 and 88:40, to close out the game.
- Middle Tennessee had 15 shots in the game while Western Carolina had 10. The Blue Raiders recorded 10 of their 15 shots in the second half.
News & Notes
- For the first time in the five meetings between Western Carolina and Middle Tennessee, the game wasn’t a shutout.
- Two of the Western Carolina’s three goals this season have been scored by seniors: Threatt and Julia Winter.
- Freshman goalkeeper Melody Mezzina got the first start in goal in her Catamount career.
Western Carolina concludes its three-game homestand Sunday hosting UT Martin at 1 p.m. Sept. 1 at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.