Score: Western Carolina 1, Elon 1, Double OT
Records: Western Carolina 1-1-1, Elon 1-0-2
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Redshirt junior Mackenzie Wright scored the first goal of her Catamount career helping lead Western Carolina women’s soccer to a double overtime 1-1 tie with Elon Thursday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Down 1-0 after the first half, Western Carolina climbed back in the game with a goal of its own when Wright scored at the 76th minute of the match.
- Wright scored the Catamounts lone goal in the game. It was the first of her Catamount career.
- Western Carolina goalkeeper Jacqueline Gnassi allowed just one goal and had six saves in the contest. She moves to 1-0-1 on the season.
- Senior Sayres McKenna earned an assist on Wright’s goal.
Inside the Box Score
- Elon got on the board first scoring at the 39th minute when Lily Harke's header found the back right side of the net.
- After being shut out in the first half, Western Carolina knotted the game in the second half. Wright took a pass from McKenna and sailed it into the net from the left side.
- Gnassi held off a flurry of shots from Elon, including a nifty save forcing the Elon shot to kiss the crossbar instead of going into the net.
- Western Carolina had 14 shots in the game while Elon had 14.
News & Notes
- The double overtime game was the first of the season for Western Carolina and the second for Elon. The Phoenix played to a 0-0 double-overtime tie against the Catamounts Southern Conference member UNCG.
- Wright scored the first goal of her Catamount career and is considered her first official goal as a Catamount. However, she did score WCU’s only goal in the exhibition game against Appalachian State.
- Western Carolina’s defense and Gnassi has allowed just one goal in the last two games adding up to 200 minutes.
- McKenna’s assist is the 20th of her career moving her into a tie for third place with former Catamount, and Catamount Hall of Fame member, Nardia Moore.
- The tie with Elon is the seventh in the series and the third in the last five meeting.
Western Carolina hosts Belmont at 1 p.m. Sunday. It is “Bark at the Pitch” sponsored by Fish and More and fans are encouraged to bring their dogs to the game and sit in a designated area for the game.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.