Nov. 5, 2017
Score: No. 3 seed UNCG 1, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 9-10-2, UNCG 11-7-3
Location: SU Soccer Stadium, Birmingham, Ala.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- No. 4 seed Western Carolina fell to No. 3 seed UNCG 1-0 Sunday in the finals of the Southern Conference Championships at SU Soccer Stadium at Birmingham, Ala. to close out the 2017 season. After a scoreless first half, UNCG broke open the game off a corner kick when the Spartans Emily Jensen found the back of the net. Western Carolina placed three on the SoCon All-Tournament Team: junior Sayres McKenna, redshirt sophomore Jacquelyn Gnassi and sophomore Emily Threatt.
Scoreless early in the second half, UNCG broke open the game scoring a goal off a corner kick. Individual Leaders - McKenna had five shots, two on goal, in the game. - Catamount goalkeeper Jacquelyn Gnassi allowed just two goals in the three SoCon Championship games and had a 2-1 record. - Megan McCallister and Emily Threatt each had four shots.
Inside the Box Score
- - UNCG's Jensen got the crucial goal for the Spartans when she headed the ball in from the right side off the corner kick.
- - Western Carolina had a flurry of scoring chances ending the game with 20 shots to UNCG's seven.
News & Notes
- The 1-0 shutout by UNCG is the fifth time this season Western Carolina has failed to score in a game.
- - The loss halts Western Carolina's four-game winning streak. - Western Carolina is now 2-2 in SoCon Championship final games.
- - McCallister ends the season with 10 goals, six assists and 26 points on the year.
- - Gnassi ends her season in goal with a record of 7-6-1. - All-Tournament selection Threatt scored two of WCU's three goals in the three games of the SoCon Championships for WCU.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.