Score: Western Carolina 2, UNCG 2, 2 OT
Records: Western Carolina 4-7-2, (1-2-1 SoCon), UNCG 5-6-2 (2-1-1 SoCon)
Location: UNCG Soccer Stadium, Greensboro, N.C.
GREENSBORO, N.C. - Western Carolina women's soccer played to a 2-2 double-overtime draw at UNCG Sunday at the UNCG Soccer Stadium.
Western Carolina scored both of its goals in the second half after ending the first half down 1-0 to UNCG. WCU tied the game 1-1 early in the second half, but UNCG retook a short-lived 2-1 lead on an own goal. The Catamounts tied the game 2-2 in the 51st minute. Neither team could find the back of the goal for the remainder of the game.
With Western Carolina trailing 2-1, senior Deyana Walker scored
- Walker scored a goal and added an assist on Megan McCallister's goal, all in the second half.
- Catamount goalkeeper Jacquelyn
- McCallister had five shots for the Catamounts.
Inside the Box Score
- UNCG scored the first goal of the game at 17:21 into the contest on a header goal by Heida Vidarsdottir who headed it over Gnassi.
- McCallister tied the game for Western Carolina when Walker passed the ball through two UNCG defenders inside the box and shot it past the UNCG goalkeeper at 49:48.
- Under a minute later, UNCG retook the lead on an own goal when a WCU defender attempted to clear the ball.
- Walker tied the game, for what be the final time for Western Carolina, when she took a pass from Emily Zipay who played it up the right side and crossed it to Walker who scored from the goal line.
- The shots were fairly even with UNCG attempting 19 while WCU had 14. After just two shots in the first half, WCU stepped up its game in the second half and pair of overtimes.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina's two goals against UNCG is the most goals the Catamounts have scored against the Spartans since scoring two in 2001.
- The tie ends Western Carolina's four-game losing streak to UNCG and is just the third tie in the 24 meetings between the two schools. It is the second time WCU has tied UNCG in Greensboro, N.C.
- The overtime game against UNCG is the second straight overtime game for Western Carolina as the Catamounts win a 1-0 overtime game at VMI on Sept. 29. All told, WCU has played in six overtime games this season with a record of 2-2-2.
- McCallister scored her fifth goal of the season against UNCG moving her overall point total to 13 this season. - Walker scored her career-best third goal of the season against the Spartans. Her seven points this season is also a season-best.
- The two goals scored by Western Carolina is the first time in four games the Catamounts have scored multiple goals in a game. The last time WCU scored two or more goals in a game was a 4-3 win at Campbell on September 15.
Western Carolina returns home this week for the Catamounts final pair of home games in the 2017 season. WCU will host Mercer at 7 p.m. Friday and welcome The Citadel on Sunday at 2 p.m. for senior day.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.