Score: ETSU 3, Western Carolina 2
Records: Western Carolina 5-7, 2-1 SoCon, ETSU 7-4-1, 2-1 SoCon
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex - Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. --Western Carolina women's soccer dropped a hard-fought battle with ETSU 3-2 Friday in the Catamounts' Southern Conference home opener Friday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Tied 2-2, ETSU's Elenora Goldoni scored the game-winning goal for the Buccaneers at the 83rd minute.
- Western Carolina sophomore Megan McCallister had a career-high two assists in the game against ETSU.
- Emily Threatt and Sayres McKenna have each scored a goal in the last two games.
- ETSU's Goldoni recorded her third career multi-game goal game with a pair of goals against WCU.
Inside the Box Score
- ETSU broke open the scoreless game when Goldoni scored the first of her two goals in the game from a header just in front of the box, off an assist by Isabel Hodgson, at 34:35.
- Western Carolina tied the game just before halftime when Threatt took a pass from McCallister about 20 yards out and sent it into the goal to knot the game at 1-1.
- The Catamounts took a short-lived 2-1 lead when McKenna scored from a rebound off a save attempt by ETSU's goalkeeper offering an assist by McCallister, her second of the game, as McKenna sent it in for the score.
- ETSU scored two unanswered goals to tie the game and take the lead at the 68th and 83rd minute.
- ETSU had 14 shots in the game while WCU had seven.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina had its three-game winning streak snapped with the loss to ETSU and also halted a three-game streak of shutting out an opponent.
- With McKenna's goal, she now has 10 points which paces the Catamounts. She is just one point shy of tying her season-high, of 11 points, from her freshman campaign in 2015.
- With the loss, Western Carolina moves into a four-way tie for second place with ETSU, Samford and Chattanooga in the Southern Conference race.
Western Carolina will have six days off before returning to action on Friday Oct. 7 hosting VMI at 7 p.m. at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.