Score: Western Carolina 1, Mercer 0
Records: Western Carolina 4-6, 1-0 SoCon, Mercer 2-6-1, 0-1 SoCon
Location: Bear Field -- Macon, Ga.
MACON, Ga. -- Western Carolina women's soccer notched its second straight shutout knocking off Mercer 1-0, Friday at Bear Field, to open Southern Conference play.
- Mellis broke open a scoreless game with 10 minutes left in the first half.
- Carly Tinstman earned her second straight shutout in goal and had four saves against Mercer. - Megan McCallister led WCU with two shots.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Frazier's corner kick landed right in the box and landed squarely toward Mellis who headed the ball into the goal at 30:17.
- At the 59:16 mark Mercer was awarded a penalty kick, taken by the Bears' Katelyn Dimopoulus, after a hand ball was called on Western Carolina. Carly Tinstman earned a big save batting the ball away from the goal.
- Mercer had one last gasp at an attempt to tie the game with a shot with under a minute left to play by the Bears' Jamilah Tejan's whose shot went wide.
News & Notes
- Mellis scored the first goal of her Catamount career.
- Frazier's assist was also the first assist of her WCU career.
- The missed penalty kick by Mercer, midway through the second half, was the first missed PK by the Bears this season ... Prior to the Bears' miscue, Mercer was 3-0 on PKs in 2016.
- Western Carolina opened Southern Conference play 1-0 for the second time in the last three years.
- The Catamounts snapped a three-game losing streak to Mercer defeating the Bears for the first time since 2013 ... With the WCU 1-0 win, the last four meetings between the two teams have been decided by one goal.
- Western Carolina earned its second straight shutout with the 1-0 blanking of Mercer after defeating Tennessee Tech 1-0 on Sept .18.
- Tinstman earned her 22nd win in her career ranking her fourth in the WCU record books.
Western Carolina continues its Southern Conference road swing traveling to The Citadel on Sunday for a 2 p.m. game.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.