Score: Morehead State 2, Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina 2-5, Morehead State 3-2-1
Location: Jayne Stadium - Morehead, Ky.
MOREHEAD, Ky. -- Western Carolina women's soccer fell to Morehead State 2-1 Friday at Jayne Stadium.
Western Carolina kept the ball on Morehead State's side of the field for most of the first half but a play on WCU's side turned into a score for the Eagles. Morehead State scored at the 29:02 mark.
- Tatiana Hawkins-Dabney scored the first goal of her Catamount career late in the second half against Morehead State.
- Sayres McKenna had five shots for Western Carolina - just two shots off tying her game-high. - Catamount goalkeeper Carly Tinstman had two saves and gave up two goals.
Inside the Box Score
- Morehead State scored at 29:02 mark when Cara Maher took a bounced pass from Shelby Huddleson and sailed it into the goal after a battle for the ball inside the box.
- Western Carolina had a key chance to tie the game early in the second half, around the 55 minute mark, with two quick shots by sophomore McKenna who had a shot blocked and then one saved by the Eagles' keeper.
- The Eagles tacked on a second goal late in the second half, at 75:50, when Huddleston sent a pass to Morgan Vonderheide who then bound the back of the goal.
- Western Carolina avoided its second straight shutout when Hawkins-Dabney scored a goal at the 88th minute off an assist by McKenna.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina suffered its second straight loss.
- In the first seven games of the season, Western Carolina is being out-scored 18-9.
- On the road, Western Carolina is being out-scored 8-5.
- Hawkins-Dabney scored the first goal of her Catamount career.
- McKenna earned the 10th assist of her career ranking her tied for 13th in the WCU record books for assists in a career. She is one assist away from tying for 10th. The record is 29 career assists held by Kelly Barker (1999-02).
Western Carolina closes out a two-game road swing at EKU Sunday with the game scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.