Score: UNCA 3 - Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina 1-2, UNCA 2-2
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex - Cullowhee, N.C.
Cullowhee, N.C. -- Western Carolina women's soccer dropped its home opener Friday falling 3-1 to UNC Asheville at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Tied at the half, 1-1, UNCA scored two unanswered goals in the second half to come away with the win.
With the game tied 1-1, UNCA's Courtney Naber took a pass from Paige Trent, at the 48:18 mark, to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead.
- Freshman Kyla Moncrief scored her second goal of the season against UNCA.
- Rachel Snyder scored two goals for UNCA and Trent added two assists.
Inside the Box Score
- UNCA took the early lead with Snyder's first of two goals in the game from an assist by Trent. Snyder took the pass from Trent and bounced out of the Catamount goalkeeper's hands and into the goal.
- Western Carolina tied the game at the 37:08 mark after a scrum in front of the goal resulted in a pass from Tatiana Hawkins-Dabney to Moncrief for the goal.
- Naber broke open the tie scoring UNCA's second goal of the game at the 48:18 mark.
- UNCA put the game out of reach on an unassisted goal from Snyder as she went one-on-one with WCU goalie Carly Tinstman and sailed it past her at the 74:23 mark.
- Western Carolina has some golden chances in the second half including five plays inside the box but the ball could never find the back of the net.
- Western Carolina had a total of 11 shots in the game and UNCA goalie Keller Dixon handled the barrage with five saves.
News & Notes
-Hawkins-Dabney picked up the second assist of her career.
- Moncrief's goal was her second straight and the second straight game her goal tied the game for WCU.
- Western Carolina is now 0-2 when a team scores three or more goals against it.
- ECU and Western Carolina will both be coming off losses when the two teams meet on Sunday. The Pirates were sunk by Virginia Tech 5-1 Friday. Both teams enter the game with a 1-2 record.
Western Carolina hosts ECU at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.