Score: USC Upstate 70, Western Carolina 62
Records: Western Carolina 1-3; USC Upstate 2-1
Location: Hodge Center, Spartanburg, S.C.
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Western Carolina had three players score in double figures as the Catamounts dropped a hard-fought battle at USC Upstate 70-62 Tuesday in the Hodge Center as part of the Spartans annual Education Day game.
With Western Carolina leading by one, 48-47 with 8:42 left in the fourth quarter, USC Upstate re-took the lead on back-to-back three-pointers by Michaela Gibbons and never trailed again. The Spartans outscored the Catamounts 23-16 in the fourth quarter.
- Sophomore Jewel Smalls led the Catamounts with 17 points adding 10 rebounds marking her third double-double in the four Catamount games played this season.
- Andrea Martin Ruiz had 13 points while Alyssa Walker added 12 for the Catamounts.
- Judith Martin Ruiz ripped down seven rebounds and dished out six assists.
- USC Upstate’s Brianna Lewis paced the Spartans with 20 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Both teams shot 42 percent from the field with Western Carolina hitting 25 field goals and USC Upstate nailing 26.
- The Spartans also just edged the Catamounts in three-pointers hitting nine to Western Carolina’s eight. The Catamount's final trey came with 23.3 seconds left in the contest.
- USC Upstate was 9-of-12 from the free-throw line including hitting five key shots in the final minute of the game.
- The Spartans outrebounded by just two 36 to 34.
News & Notes
- Andrea Martin Ruiz notched her 10th point, marking the first double-figure scoring performance of her young Catamount career, courtesy of a cross-court pass from her sister senior Judith Martin Ruiz late in the second quarter. She ended the game with a career-high 13 points.
- After failing to score in double figures against Elon Saturday, Nov. 9, Smalls got back to her double-figure ways with 17 points against USC Upstate.
- Walker’s 12 points were also a career-high for the rookie.
- The contest at USC Upstate ended a brutal three-game road swing.
- The Catamounts home game against Campbell on Thursday will be the Catamounts’ fifth game in 10 days.
Western Carolina returns home to the friendly confines of the Ramsey Center Thursday hosting Campbell at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.