CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Junior guard Judith Martin Ruiz scored a career-high 20 points as the Catamounts fell to visiting UNCG 66-42 Saturday in the Ramsey Center.
UNCG built a 23-10 lead after the first period and outscored the Catamounts a total of three of the four periods.
- Martin Ruiz led all scorers with her 20 points in the game.
- Freshman Jewel Smalls scored 11 points in the game.
- Te’Ja Twitty paced the Spartans with 18 points.
- Nadine Solomon followed Twitty for UNCG with 16.
Inside the Box Score
- UNCG shot 40 percent from the field hitting 25 field goals, 10 more then WCU.
- Western Carolina drained seven three-pointers in the game.
- UNCG owned the paint scoring 32 of its 66 points inside the paint.
- The Catamounts committed 17 turnovers equating to 17 Spartan points.
- UNCG led the entire game.
- The Spartans just edged WCU in rebounding pulling down 39 to the Catamounts 34.
- UNCG had five blocks in the game.
News & Notes
- Martin Ruiz has now scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games.
- Western Carolina has 164 made three-pointers in the 2018-19 season remaining in third place in the WCU record books for three-pointers in a season. Second place is held by the Southern Conference Championship squad of 2008-09 who ended the season with 167.
- Smalls has scored 289 points in the 2018-19 season which is the most by a Western Carolina women’s basketball freshman since 2014-15 when Ace Easter ended her rookie campaign with 297.
- Smalls has also scored in double figures 13 times this season including in the last three games.
Western Carolina hosts its final two regular season games of the season starting with ETSU on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.