Score: Campbell 58, Western Carolina 51
Records: Western Carolina 1-7, Campbell 5-2
Location: Gore Arena, Buies Creek, N.C.
BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Senior forward Sherae Bonner tied her career-high with 23 points, to lead the game, in Western Carolina women's basketball's hard-fought 58-51 loss at Campbell Monday at Gore Arena.
Western Carolina had as much as a 12 point lead in the second period but watched it dwindle to close the first half to lead 28-24 at the break. Campbell took the lead in the third off a 20-12 run.
WCU did attempt a comeback trimming the Campbell lead to four, 53-49, with 3:02 left in the game but the Camels pushed the lead back to six on a pair of free throws with 1:07 left in the game to make the score 55-49. Campbell was 6-of-6 from the free throw line in the final minute to ice the game.
Tied at 36, Campbell retook the lead, 38-36, on a pair of free throws with 3:21 left in the third period ending the period outscoring WCU 20-12. The Camels would never trail again.
- Bonner led all scorers with 23 points including 7-for-7 from the free throw line.
- Nikki Johnson had six points and four assists in the game.
- Emily Hatfield and four points, four rebounds and tied her career-high with two blocks.
- Campbell's Makala Rouse led the Camels with 19 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina had 20 turnovers in the game with Campbell parlaying that into 21 points.
- Campbell hit five three-pointers in the contest while WCU matched its season-low with just one from behind the three-point
- Western Carolina had a nice shooting percentage at 44.4 percent almost 11 percent higher than Campbell who shot 33.9 percent.
- Campbell found 15 of its points from the charity stripe going 15-of-20. WCU made the most of its trips ending the game 10-for-12.
News & Notes
- With six rebounds in the game, Bonner takes over 10th place in the Catamount record books with 112 career rebounds.
- For the fourth
- Though Western Carolina hit just one three-pointer in the game, the Catamounts have hit at least one trey in all eight games to start the season.
- WCU had its third different starting line-up of the season with Bonner, Tembre Moates, Lauren LaPlant, Johnson and Tembre Moates all getting a starting nod. LaPlant is the only Catamount to start all eight games.
Western Carolina returns home Thursday to host Radford at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center. It will also be Ugly Christmas Sweater night and the first 75 students will have the chance to snag a sweater for the event. The student with the best holiday outfit has a chance to win a prize and anyone wearing an ugly Christmas sweater can get free popcorn at the concession stand inside the Ramsey Center.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.