Score: Florida A&M 80, Western Carolina 63
Records: Western Carolina 1-6, Florida A&M 1-7
Location: Ramsey Center - Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. -- Western Carolina women's basketball's flurried comeback fell short as the Catamounts lost to visiting Florida A&M 80-63 Saturday in the Ramsey Center.
Down 43-19 at the half, Western Carolina burst out of the locker room in the third period and made the contest a game. WCU went on a 10-0 run to start the third period but the Rattlers' 14 point halftime lead was just too much for the Catamounts to overcome. The Catamounts did win the third period outscoring the Rattlers 27-14.
Sophomore guard Lauren LaPlant continues to shine as she strung together a 4-of-11 shooting night, including a three-pointer and 5-of-6 from the free throw line, to score a career-high 14 points. Sherae Bonner and Tess Harris came off the bench to end the game in double figures, as well as Bonner, had 14 and Harris logged in 12.
The Rattlers' Shal Burney-Robinson recorded a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
Florida A&M used a huge first half scoring performance to build a 43-19 lead at the half -- a scoring margin Western Carolina could not overcome.
- LaPlant scored a career-high 14 points.
- Bonner notched her second double-figure scoring performance with 14 points.
- Harris rounded out the double-figure scoring with 14 points.
- FAMU's Florence Qualtara led all scorers with 17 points.
Inside the Box Score
- FAMU shot 48.3 percent from the field while WCU shot 44.2.
- The Rattlers dominated the boards ripping down 41 to Western Carolina's 23. Western Carolina has just seven offensive rebounds.
- There were a combined 43 turnovers in the game with 23 being from FAMU. Western Carolina turned those 23 miscues into 26 points.
- FAMU hit eight three-pointers. Western Carolina had five.
News & Notes
- LaPlant's 14 points are not only a career high it is also the third time this season she has scored in double figures.
- Harris' four three-pointers were a season-high and her 12 points were the first time this season she has scored in double figures.
- Bonner was so close to a double-double as she led the team with six rebounds. She now has 709 career rebounds and needs four rebounds to move into 10th place in the WCU record books.
- The 63 points scored by Western Carolina is the most points scored by the team this season. It is also the first time WCU has scored 60 or more points and lost the game.
- Western Carolina's opponents have scored 60 or more points against the Catamounts in the last five games.
- WCU hit all five of its three-pointers in the second half.
Western Carolina will head back out on the road Monday to face Campbell. The game is set to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. and can be seen on the Big South Network.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.