Score: Georgia 78 - Western Carolina 43
Records: Western Carolina 4-10, Georgia 8-5
Location: Stegeman Coliseum - Athens, Ga.
ATHENS, Ga. -- Western Carolina women's basketball fell to Georgia 78-43 Wednesday at Stegeman Coliseum.
The Bulldogs shot a scorching 57.7 percent from the field and held the Catamounts to 20 points, eight in the third period, in the second half. Georgia's Pachis Roberts had a day against the Catamounts accounting for 29 of Georgia's 78 points and registering a double-double with 11 rebounds.
Western Carolina did continue to battle throughout the game and was even with the Bulldogs in the fourth period as each team scored 12 points. Freshman Tembre Moates scored six of the Catamounts 12 points in the fourth period.
Junior forward Sherae Bonner led the Catamounts with 11 points, all in the first half. It is the seventh time this season she has scored in double figures. Bonner just missed her sixth double-double of the season ripping down eight rebounds.
Georgia outscored Western Carolina 42-23 in the first half and shot 57.7 percent for the game holding WCU to just eight points in the third period.
- Moates had a solid fourth period scoring six of her eight points in the final 10 minutes of the game.
- Nikki Johnson just missed scoring in double figures with eight points draining a career-high two three-pointers.
- Julia Brown was 3-for-3 from the field with seven points.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina shot 33.3 percent from the field.
- The Catamounts found the free throw line a challenge hitting 3-of-9.
- Both teams ripped down 32 rebounds however 23 of Georgia's was from the defensive end.
- Western Carolina got 27 of its points from the bench.
- Western Carolina had 23 turnovers in the game equating to 21 Bulldog points.
News & Notes
- With the loss to Georgia, Western Carolina has not won a game after Christmas in the last seven seasons.
- The Catamounts are now 1-1 all-time against the Bulldogs of Georgia.
- With eight rebounds against Georgia, Bonner moves into 12th place in the WCU record books for rebounds in a career with 555.
- Freshman Lauren LaPlant had her five-game streak of hitting at least one three pointer snapped at Georgia.
- With a three-pointer against Georgia, Bonner has hit a three-pointer in the last two games.
- Bonner notched one block in the game and has now recorded at least one block in all 13 games to start the season. Dating back to the 2015-16 season, Bonner has had at least one block in the last 19 games.
- The win for Georgia halts the Bulldogs' two-game losing streak. Georgia ends its non-conference slate with a record of 3-1 against teams from the Southern Conference defeating Mercer, Furman and the Catamounts. Samford escaped with a win against Georgia on Dec. 22.
Western Carolina returns home Friday to host Charleston Southern in the Catamounts final non-conference game of the season. Tip time is set for 2 p.m. in the Ramsey Center.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.