Score: Western Carolina 73 - High Point 64
Records: Western Carolina 4-9, High Point 2-8
Location: Ramsey Center - Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. -- Four players scored in double figures, paced by junior forward Emily Hatfield's career-high 16 points, as Western Carolina women's basketball picked up a 73-64 home win against High Point Wednesday in the Ramsey Center.
Western Carolina weathered a late rally by High Point in the fourth period, as the Panthers cut the Catamount lead to two, 44-42, with 5:04 left to play. A three-pointer by Lauren LaPlant and a jumper by Hatfield pushed the Catamount lead back to seven and WCU kept High Point at bay in the final four minutes.
The Catamounts shot 44.3 percent from the field and connected on seven three-pointers in the game. WCU also crashed the board ripping down 46 rebounds just two shy of its season-high of 48.
Junior forward Sherae Bonner recorded her fifth double-double of the season with a solid 13 points and 13 rebounds. Other double figure scorers for WCU included 11 points by Lauren LaPlant and 10 from sophomore Raziyah Farrington.
With WCU clinging to a tenuous six point 52-46 lead at the end of the third period, Western Carolina opened the fourth period with a 7-2 run to build its first double digit, 59-48, lead of the game. WCU would build a double digit lead two more times and weather a High Point comeback attempt for the win.
- Hatfield scored a career-high 16 points including hitting two three-pointers.
- Bonner had a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds.
- LaPlant scored in double figures for the second time in her career with 11 points.
- Farrington had 10 points - the third straight game she has scored in double figures.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina ripped down 46 rebounds, 29 on the defensive end.
- Western Carolina got 25 of its points from the bench.
- Western Carolina had just 12 turnovers in the game.
- High Point shot 35.3 percent from the field.
- Both teams hit seven three-pointers.
News & Notes
- Junior JonTay Mitchem dished out a career-high five assists.
- Tembre Moates just missed getting double figure rebounds with nine.
- LaPlant has hit at least one three-pointer in the last five games and two or more in four of the last five. Her 11 points against High Point was one shy of tying her career-high of 12.
- The 73 points against High Point is the second straight game WCU has scored 60 or more points. - With 13 rebounds against High Point, Bonner now has 547 career rebounds just one rebound shy of tying for 12th place in the WCU record books. She has 139 rebounds for a season leading the Southern Conference.
- Western Carolina's win over High Point halts a three-game losing streak and marks the first win over a Big South opponent this season. WCU has losses to Big South teams UNC Asheville, Campbell, Radford and Gardner-Webb this season.
Western Carolina will break for the holidays before returning to the hardwood on Dec. 28 traveling to Athens, Gal. to face SEC opponent Georgia. Tip time is set for 2 p.m.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.