Score: UT Martin 84 - Western Carolina 72
Records: Western Carolina 0-2, UT Martin 1-2
Location: Ramsey Center -- Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. - Western Carolina women's basketball had three players score in double figures, paced by sophomore Raziyah Farrington's 16 points off the bench, in the Catamounts' 84-72 home opening loss to UT Martin Wednesday in the Ramsey Center.
Western Carolina's slow start, with four and five point differentials in the first two periods against the Skyhawks, set a tone for the game. WCU played even with UT Martin in period three with each scoring 20 points before UT Martin won the fourth period outscoring WCU 25-22 to close out the game.
Farrington led all scorers with her 16 points, including connecting on two three pointers. Freshman forward Tess Harris came off the bench to score 14 points while junior forward Sherae Bonner added 12.
UT Martin won three of the four periods and connected on 11 three pointers in the game.
- Bonner just missed a double-double with 12 points and eight rebounds.
- Harris became the first of the Catamounts' six freshmen to score in double figures with 12.
- Harris drained four three pointers in the game against UT Martin.
- Emanye Roberston led UT Martin with 15 points.
Inside the Box Score
- UT Martin connected on 11 three pointers in the game and shot 46.2 percent from the field.
- The Skyhawks won the rebounding battle ripping down 37 boards to Western Carolina's 33.
- The Catamounts had just six offensive rebounds.
- Western Carolina kept itself in the game at the charity stripe hitting 19-of-21 free throws. The 19 free throws is just shy of getting into the WCU top-25 for rebounds in a game. Tied at 24 is numerous Catamount teams who had 22 free throws in a game.
- Western Carolina hit a season-best seven three pointers after hitting only three in the game against Clemson.
- Western Carolina shot 39.7 percent from the field and had 21 turnovers equating to 17 Skyhawk points.
News & Notes
- With the 12 points against UT Martin, Bonner has scored in double figures in back-to-back games.
- Bonner was 6-for-6 from the free throw line - the six free throws ties her career-high.
- Western Carolina's game against UT Martin is the first of two teams the Catamounts will face from the OVC over the next three games. The Catamounts will play at OVC member EKU on Nov. 22. - Of the 11 Catamounts who saw action in the game, 10 got into the scoring column.
Western Carolina travels to in-state rival UNC Ashville on Friday for a 7 p.m. tip.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.