Score: Wofford 72 - Western Carolina 71
Records: Western Carolina 6-20, 2-10 SoCon, Wofford 8-17, 2-9 SoCon
Location: Benjamin Johnson Arena - Spartanburg, S.C..
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Sophomore guard Ace Easter scored a career-high 29 points in Western Carolina women's basketball's heartbreaking 72-71 loss at Wofford Thursday in Benjamin Johnson Arena.
After being held to only eight points in the last two games, Easter exploded for a career-high 29 including connecting on a career-best seven three pointers. Easter's seven three-pointers factored into the Catamounts' 10 treys for the game -- the second most three pointers in a game in the WCU record books.
Leading by seven points, 69-62, with four minutes left in the game, Western Carolina was held to two points in the final four minutes allowing Wofford to rally for the win. The Terriers outscored WCU 10-2 in those final four minutes.
Western Carolina trailed by as much as 13 in the second period and roared back to only be down 35-28 at the half. The Catamounts took the lead in the third period, bolstered by 27 points and a buzzer-beater three-pointer by Angel Allen to give WCU a 55-52 lead to end the third.
It was the scoring drought in the fourth period and the 20 Catamount turnovers, which led to 38 Wofford points, which led to the Terrier victory.
Down by one point, 70-71, Wofford's Chanel Stokes was fouled with 29 seconds remaining in the game hitting both free throws to give the Terriers its first lead in the fourth period. Wofford was 0-for-2 and WCU missed two pointers in the final 14 seconds of the game.
- Easter led all scorers with 29 points and hit seven three-pointers.
- Kentra Washington paced Wofford with 16 points.
- Sherae Bonner had six points, eight rebounds and three blocks.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina sank 10 three-pointers - the second most in a game school history. The record is 11.
- The Catamounts coughed the ball up 20 times leading to 38 Wofford points.
- Western Carolina shot a season-best 52 percent from the field.
- Wofford got 15 of its points from the free throw line after being awarded 28 trips.
- Western Carolina made just 12 trips to the charity stripe and hit nine.
- WCU narrowly won the rebound battle 29 to 28 and had just 10 offensive boards. - Wofford had 13 steals in the game.
News & Notes
- With Lindsay Simpson's three-pointer in the game she now has 170 in her career and needs nine to vault from third to second in the WCU record books.
- Easter's 29 points is the most scored by a Catamount this season and ranks 17th in the WCU record books for points in a game.
- The 29 points by Easter is the fifth time this season she has scored 20 or more points.
- Western Carolina is now 0-13 in road games.
- With three blocks against Wofford, Bonner now has 38 for the season moving her to ninth in the WCU record books for blocks. She needs one to move to eighth and three to move to seventh.
Western Carolina continues its three-game road swing traveling to Furman on Saturday for a 2 p.m. game at Timmons Arena. The game can be seen on ESPN 3.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.