Score: UNCG 5, Western Carolina 2
Records: Western Carolina 11-7, 1-3 SoCon, UNCG 6-10, 1-3 SoCon
Location: Cullowhee, N.C., Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s tennis suffered a setback Thursday afternoon falling to UNCG 5-2 at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
UNCG won the doubles point and went on to take four of the six singles matches.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Tied 1-1 in doubles, UNCG won the deciding match as Sophia Adams and Eugenia Camacho defeated Lauren McCall and Alexa Webb at No. 3 doubles, 7-6 (4-0) to take a 1-0 lead into singles play.
- The Spartans won at No. four, one and five singles to clinch the match.
- The Catamounts avoided a shutout as both Catamount freshmen earned wins. Jacy Smith picked up a victory at No. 2 singles 6-4, 7-5 while fellow rookie Julia Pezzuco won at No. 6 singles 6-2, 7-6.
- Western Carolina loss halts a six-game winning streak.
- Smith has won 10 straight matches at No. 2 singles and 13 of her last 14. She currently leads the team with a 14-3 singles record and 3-1 in Southern Conference play.
For the latest information on Catamount women's tennis, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.