Score: Western Carolina 6, Fairleigh Dickinson 1
Records: Western Carolina 7-6, Fairleigh Dickinson 2-4
Location: Orlando, Fla.
ORLANDO, Fla. – Western Carolina women’s tennis won its second-straight match Tuesday defeating Fairleigh Dickinson 6-1 in Orlando, Fa.
Western Carolina swept the doubles point and clinched the match from a win at No. 6 singles.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Western Carolina breezed through the doubles getting wins at all three doubles positions.
- Senior Savanah Taranto got things started in singles winning her match at No. 4 6-2, 6-1. Jordan Strickland followed with a win at No. 1 singles and the match was clinched when freshman Julia Pezzuco won 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6 singles.
- Western Carolina has won five of its last six matches and the last two.
- Strickland earned her 33rd career victory on Tuesday as she remains in second place. She is chasing the program record for most singles wins in school history held by former Catamount Stacia Kissell who ended her career with 37.
- Rookie Jacy Smith has won five-straight matches at No. 2 singles and eight of her last nine. She currently leads the team with a 9-3 singles record.
Western Carolina will continue to enjoy warm and sunny Florida during their spring trip. They will face UNCW at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.
For the latest information on Catamount women's tennis, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.