Score: Western Carolina 4, Samford 3
Records: Western Carolina 12-7, 2-3 SoCon, Samford 10-9, 1-3 SoCon
Location: Cullowhee, N.C., Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s tennis picked up a huge Southern Conference victory on Sunday defeating visiting Samford 4-3 at the Catamount Athletic Complex on Senior Day.
With the match tied 3-3, freshman Julia Pezzuco won a three-set match to clinch the win. After dropping the first set 3-6, she bounced back to win the ensuing sets 6-3, 6-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Western Carolina wasted no time getting a quick 1-0 lead winning at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take an early 1-0 lead.
- The Catamounts took an early 3-0 advantage with Jordan Strickland’s win at No. 1 singles and rookie Jacy Smith’s victory at No. 2 singles.
- Samford battled back winning at No. 3, 4 and 5 singles to tie the match 3-3.
- This set up
Pezzuco’sepic comeback for the team win.
- Western Carolina has now won seven of its last eight matches.
- Smith has won 11-straight matches at No. 2 singles and 14 of her last 15. She currently leads the team with a 15-3 singles record and 4-1 in Southern Conference play.
- Strickland’s victory against the Bulldogs pushed her career win total to 36. She is just one win away from tying the school record for singles wins and two away from taking over the record.
Western Carolina hosts ETSU at 2 p.m. Friday in the Catamounts final home match of the season.
For the latest information on Catamount women's tennis, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.