Score: Western Carolina 4, Chattanooga 3
Records: Western Carolina 11-6, 1-2 SoCon, Chattanooga 7-7, 0-2 SoCon
Location: Cullowhee, N.C., Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s tennis picked up its first Southern Conference victory of the season knocking off Chattanooga 4-3 in the Catamounts conference home opener Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Junior Jordan Strickland sealed the match for Western Carolina winning an epic three-set match. With WCU clinging to a 3-2 lead, Strickland’s victory at No. 1 singles secured the conference win for the Catamounts.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Western Carolina jumped out to an early 1-0 lead getting wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
- Julia Pezzuco’s win at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-3, put the Catamounts up 2-0 over the Mocs.
- Chattanooga got a win at No. 4 and No. 3 singles while Catamount rookie Jacy Smith earned a 6-3-6-3 win at No. 2 singles as the Catamounts held onto a 3-2 lead.
- The 3-2 lead by WCU set up the strong play by Strickland to win at No. 1 singles 7-6 (4-0), 4-6, 6-3.
- Western Carolina has won nine of its last 10 matches and six straight.
- Rookie Smith has won nine-straight matches at No. 2 singles and 12 of her last 13. She currently leads the team with a 13-3 singles record and 2-1 in Southern Conference play.
- Junior Jordan Strickland won her 35th match in singles and remains in second place in the WCU record books. She needs three more wins to take over first place.
Western Carolina returns to action at 1 p.m. March 28 hosting UNCG at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
For the latest information on Catamount women's tennis, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.