Score: Campbell 5, Western Carolina 2
Records: Western Carolina 2-4, Campbell 4-6
Location: Nesbitt Tennis Center, Campbell, N.C.
CAMPBELL, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s tennis dropped a Sunday afternoon match at Campbell 5-2 at the Nesbitt Tennis Center.
The Catamounts took two of the three doubles matches to earn an early 1-0 lead, but the Camels battled back to take five of the six singles matches for the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Doubles pair Jacy Smith and Julia Pezzuco won the first doubles matchup against Campbell's Isabel Boada and Alexandra Nicoara in a 6-4 decision.
- Campbell came back with a doubles win of their own when doubles duo Lucile Pons and Lea Cutura snagged a 6-3 win over WCU's Lauren McCall and Carli Deehr.
- CU then fell in the last doubles matchup when Western Carolina pair Jordan Strickland Savannah Taranto clinched the doubles point at with a 6-4 win.
- Campbell went on to take five of six victories at singles minus number two singles. Rookie Catamount Jacy Smith continued her winning ways earning a victory at No. 2 singles. Smith took the early lead 6-4 before dropping set two 6-0. She battled back for the win clinching the match with a 6-3 third set victory.
- The Catamounts loss on Sunday halted a two-game winning streak.
- Individually, Smith is on a three-match winning streak in singles and has a team-leading 4-2 record on the year.
Western Carolina is scheduled to open Southern Conference play Friday traveling to Furman for a 1 p.m. start.
For the latest information on Catamount women's tennis, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.