Score: Coastal Carolina 77, Western Carolina 59
Records: Western Carolina 0-1, Coastal Carolina 1-0
Location: HTC Center, Conway, S.C.
CONWAY, S.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball dropped its opening game of the 2018-19 season 77-59 at Coastal Carolina Tuesday at the HTC Center.
The Catamounts hung tough in the first half but couldn’t overcome the strong surge in the second half by Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers shot 50 percent or better in the third and fourth period to pull away for the win.
After Western Carolina was only down 33-31 at the half, Coastal Carolina scored 44 points, 22 points in the third and fourth period, in the second half to the Catamounts 28 total points to lock down the victory.
- Senior guard Angel Allen led Western Carolina with 16 points connecting on four three-pointers.
- Junior Tembre Moates just missed a double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds.
- Freshman Jewel Smalls was one point shy of her first career double scoring performance with nine points.
- Torrie Cash led Coastal Carolina with 17 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina had 22 turnovers in the game equates to 28 points for Coastal Carolina.
- The Catamounts connected on seven three-pointers in the game.
- Western Carolina led just once in the game, up by one point, in the second period enjoying the lead for 14 seconds.
- Western Carolina’s best scoring run was nine straight points in the second which helped them climb back into the game before the half.
- Coastal Carolina scored the first 10 points of the game.
- Western Carolina shot 35.5 percent from the field to Coastal Carolina’s 47 percent.
- Coastal Carolina just edged Western Carolina in rebounds 37 to 33.
News & Notes
- Allen’s four three-pointers against Coastal Carolina tied her career-high.
- Allen’s 16 points in the game were just five
shyof tying her career-high of 21 points.
- Senior Kennedy Rushin earned the first start of her career against Coastal Carolina.
- Western Carolina is now 27-27 in season openers.
Western Carolina hosts Campbell in the Catamounts home opener Friday, Nov. 9 in the Ramsey Center. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.