CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball returns home Wednesday hosting Charleston Southern at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center. The game can be seen on ESPN3.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CATAMOUNTS:
- The Catamounts’ game against Charleston Southern begins a streak of seven of the next eight games WCU will play at home.
- Western Carolina and Charleston Southern meet for the 11th time on Wednesday. The Catamounts lead the overall meetings 8-2 and have won the last two meetings. The two teams last met on Dec. 30, 2016, with the Catamounts earning a 58-53 overtime win against the Buccaneers. WCU is 4-0 against Charleston Southern in the Ramsey Center. The last Buccaneer win over the Catamounts came Dec. 22, 2015 in Charleston with a 69-61 victory.
- The game against Charleston Southern is the fifth team WCU will be playing from the Big South with the Catamounts playing a total of six teams for the conference this season. The Catamounts have already faced USC Upstate Nov. 12, Campbell Nov.14, entertained UNC Asheville Nov.18, and Gardner-Webb Nov. 27, and close out the Big South Conference swing hosting Winthrop Dec. 21.
- For the second time in three weeks, sophomore guard Jewel Smalls was named SoCon Player of the Week. Her first weekly honor was on Nov. 19. Her two conference weekly honors for the 2019-20 season marks the first time a Catamount women’s basketball player individually has been honored twice in the same season by the SoCon since Ashley Pellom in the 2007-08 season.
- In the NCAA, Smalls ranks first nationally for total rebounds with 105 and also tops the NCAA for most double-doubles with seven. She ranks fourth in the NCAA in rebounding average with 11.7 per game.
- Western Carolina’s 11 three-pointers in the game against Gardner-Webb tied for fifth place in the WCU record books for most three-pointers in a game. The record is 13 set 2014 against FIU.
- Western Carolina’s 62 points against Gardner-Webb is the first time the Catamounts have scored 60 or more points since Nov. 12 when the club scored 62 against USC Upstate. WCU has scored 60 or more points in a game three times this season with a record of 1-2.
AN INSIDE CHARLESTON SOUTHERN:
- Charleston Southern continues to search for its first win of the season as the Buccaneers come to Cullowhee with a record of 0-5.
- CSU has faced off against a difficult schedule early in the season with four of the five teams they've lined up against boasting above .500 records this year. The Bucs 2019-20 opponents this season are a combined 25-10 at this point in the season with both Florida State (7-0), and North Carolina (6-0) posting undefeated marks so far. Two other teams sit among their conference leaders with Bethune-Cookman and North Dakota sitting among the leaders in the MEAC and the Summit League.
- Sharita Godfrey and Carmella Walker each lead the Buccaneers averaging 10.8 points per game.
For all the updates on Catamount women’s basketball follow @catamounts (Twitter) for in-game updates and full recaps please follow or go to www.catamountsports.com.