CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball hosts its annual Education Day game at 11:30 a.m. Monday welcoming mountain rival UNC Asheville in the Ramsey Center.
Area school children are invited to the late morning Education Day game to allow them to experience an NCAA Division I women’s basketball game and see the Western Carolina University campus.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CATAMOUNTS:
- Western Carolina and UNC Asheville meet for the 56th time on Monday. The Catamounts are 40-15 overall against the Bulldogs but UNCA has won three of the last five meetings. In the last clash, just one day over a year to the day, the Bulldogs defeated the Catamounts 74-49 in Asheville. The last game in Cullowhee saw WCU come away with a 62-52 victory in the Ramsey Center. Overall, Western Carolina is 21-7 at home against the Bulldogs.
- The Catamounts’ Education Day game against UNCA on Monday is the second mid-morning game for the Catamounts. WCU played an Education Day game at USC Upstate Nov. 12.
- Sophomore Jewel Smalls recorded the fourth double-double in the first five games of the season against Campbell.
- The Catamounts scored under 50 points for the second time this season with 40 against Campbell on Thursday.
- Junior Lauren LaPlant ranks seventh in the WCU record books for free throw percentage in a career at 80.3.
- LaPlant has hit at least one three-pointer in the first five games of the season.
- Before meeting UNCA on Monday, Western Carolina played five games in 10 days. In contrast, the Bulldogs have played just one game on the season.
AN INSIDE LOOK UNC ASHEVILLE:
- UNC Asheville’s game Monday against Western Carolina is just the Bulldogs’ second game of the season. UNCA opened the 2019-20 season Nov. 13 defeating Lenoir-Rhyne 68-48.
- UNCA was picked to finish third in the Big South preseason poll. Redshirt senior Sonora Dengokl was named to the preseason All-Conference team as a first-team recipient.
For more information on Catamount women’s basketball follow @catamounts (Twitter) for in-game updates and full recaps please follow or go to www.catamountsports.com.