The Citadel 35, Western Carolina 17
Johnson Hagood Stadium
Saturday, October 12, 2019
With the Loss …
- Western Carolina dropped its 10th-straight loss in Southern Conference play while also suffering an eight-straight defeat away from Cullowhee;
- WCU slipped to 17-26-1 all-time in the series against The Citadel including a 7-14 overall record in games played in Charleston … the Catamounts have dropped seven of the past nine series meetings played against The Citadel, dropping three of the last five in games played in Charleston in the head-to-head series;
- The Catamounts were relegated to a 1-5 seasonal start, the slowest opening to a season since 2016 when the Catamounts started 1-7 before finishing the year 2-9 overall.
- Redshirt senior QB Tyrie Adams became Western Carolina’s all-time leader in career pass attempts (1,052) and career pass completions (666) … Adams moved into fifth-place in the SoCon career record books with 7,999 passing yards in his WCU career, by-passing former ETSU QB Greg Ryan (7,826 yds – 1993-96) … Adams now trails former Chattanooga QB Jacob Huesman (8,197 yds – 2012-15) by just 198 passing yards for fourth in conference history ... Adams has a school-benchmark 58 career touchdown passes, seventh in SoCon history, leap-frogging the two-way tie between Mercer’s John Russ and former ETSU QB Greg Ryan (57 passing TDs);
- Adams currently has a WCU career-record 10,389 career yards of total offense, fifth in the SoCon all-time … With two touchdowns on Saturday – one passing, one rushing – Adams has been responsible for 75 touchdowns in his career – tied for eighth in SoCon history, matching former Mercer QB John Russ (75, 2014-16) … He is just 10 career TD responsibility shy of fifth all-time in league history;
- By accounting for 297 yards of total offense on Saturday – 210 yards passing, 87 yards rushing – Adams has tallied 22 career games of 250 or more total yards, fifth in SoCon history … His 87 yards on the ground give him 2,390 rushing yards for his career, seventh in program history – but just 57 yards shy of sixth-place Kevin Thigpen (2,447 yds, 1990-93);
- True freshman WR Jaylin Young became the second Catamount this season to record first collegiate touchdown on his first career reception … Young hauled in a three-yard pass from Tyrie Adams midway through the third quarter for the score … TE Clayton Bardall was the other Catamount to score his first TD on his first reception this season;
- Junior linebacker Ty Harris led the Catamounts with an 11 tackle performance on Saturday against The Citadel … It was his first double-digit tackle performance of the season – and the fifth of his three-year WCU career;
- Caleb Ferguson was only called upon to punt one time on Saturday afternoon, booming a career-long 55-yard kick … It was his third punt of 50+ yards this season … the Waynesville, N.C., native added a career-best 32-yard kickoff return.
- Redshirt freshman placekicker Julian Pletz connected on his first field goal of the season, capping WCU's opening drive with a 32-yard field goal - the first of his career;
- WCU's offense has posted points on its opening drive in three of its first six games -- two field goals and one touchdown, scoring on its first possession in consecutive games against Gardner-Webb (Connell Young, 3-yard TD run) and at The Citadel (Julian Pletz, 32-yard FG) ... the Catamounts have likewise scored points on their first second-half possession, recording three touchdowns -- freshman Jaylin Young's 3-yard reception the latest.
- WCU’s team captains for Saturday’s afternoon’s game were: redshirt senior WR #2 Nate Mullen; sophomore DB #13 Ronald Kent, Jr; redshirt sophomore QB #15 Will Jones; and redshirt senior DB #22 JerMichael White;
- The Citadel won the coin toss and deferred to the second half … WCU received the opening kickoff from The Citadel to open the game.