Score: Samford 3, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 7-5, 1-2 SoCon; Samford 5-2-5, 2-0-1 SoCon
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer dropped a Southern Conference match-up with Samford 3-0 Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Samford scored a pair of goals in the first 25 minutes of the match and tacked on a third in the second half to secure the win and shutout.
- Caroline Orman had a goal and an assist for Samford in the match.
- Senior Emily Threatt came off the bench and had three shots in the match for Western Carolina.
Inside the Box Score
- Samford broke open a scoreless game 14 minutes into the match Orman scored for the Bulldogs.
- The Bulldogs struck again at the 25th minute when Orman passed the ball to Nikki Bario who found the back of the net.
- Lexi Orman scored Samford’s third goal of the game at the 54th minute.
- Western Carolina ended the match with 11 shots with eight of them coming in the second half.
- The Catamounts had a golden scoring chance when freshman Payton Creed had a straight-on shot at the goal but it fell right into the hands of the Samford goalie at the 52nd minute.
- Freshman goalkeeper Melody Mezzina played the first half before being replaced by junior Natalia Icen. Mezzina takes the loss and falls to 5-4 on the year.
- Icen allowed a goal and had two saves.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina was shutout for the third time this season and the second consecutive game.
- The Catamounts are suffering through its first losing streak of the season having dropped its last two matches.
- Western Carolina has not scored in the last 180 minutes of play.
- Icen saw action in goal for the first time since Sept. 8 against Charlotte.
Western Carolina hits the road to face Wofford on Oct. 11 and Furman on Oct. 13 for the Catamounts second and third SoCon road matches of the season.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.