CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer hits the road for a pair of road matches to close out the week traveling to Davidson at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Charlotte 1 p.m. on Sunday.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CATAMOUNTS:
- Western Carolina came out on top of an offensive battle Sunday against UT Martin in which the teams scored a combined nine goals with WCU winning 5-4.
- The Catamounts’ five goals in the match against UT Martin tied for fourth place in the WCU record books and was the most scored by a Catamount team since 2015.
- The Catamounts have scored on a penalty kick in the last two games.
- Eight different Catamounts have scored in the three matches to open the season.
- Junior goalkeeper Natalia Icen and freshman goalie Melody Mezzina have both played in the goal this year, with Icen earning both wins and has four saves.
- This will be the 17th meeting between Western Carolina and Davidson, who used to be a member of the Southern Conference. The Wildcats hold an overall record of 10-5-1 against the Catamounts. Davidson has won the last three meetings including a 2-1 overtime win at Davidson in 2013. WCU’s last win over the Wildcats came on Oct. 10, 2010, defeating Davidson 1-0 in Cullowhee.
- On Sunday, Western Carolina travels to Charlotte to round out its two-game road swing. The 49ers are 5-0 against the Catamounts having won the last meeting 3-2 on Sept. 3, 2017, in Cullowhee. This will be the fourth time WCU plays the 49ers in Charlotte – Charlotte has outscored WCU 8-1 at home in three matches.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT DAVIDSON:
- Davidson is celebrating 30 years of Wildcats’ women’s soccer.
- The Wildcats are currently 2-2 on the season coming off a 6-1 loss to SoCon member Mercer on September 1. Davidson has also played a common opponent of Western Carolina this season as both teams defeated Gardner-Webb.
- Davidson is currently on a two-match losing streak.
- Sabine Chandler paces the team with two goals and an assist for five points.
› Watch: ESPN+
› Live Stats: HERE
AN INSIDE LOOK AT CHARLOTTE:
- Charlotte will host Appalachian State on Thursday before welcoming Western Carolina on Sunday.
- WCU played the Mountaineers in an exhibition match earlier in the season tying them 2-2.
- Before hosting Appalachian State, Charlotte’s two wins on the season have been on the road.
- Charlotte has scored three goals in their three matches.
› Watch: Charlotte 49ers TV
› Live Stats: HERE
For of Catamount women’s soccer follow @catamounts (Twitter) for in-game updates and full recaps please follow or go to www.catamountsports.com.