CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina softball plays its final home games of the season hosting Furman Saturday and Sunday in a three-game Southern Conference series. Seniors Madison Armstrong, Hunter Gibbons, Cheyenne Mathews, and Shaina Reed will be honored prior to the game on Sunday.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CATAMOUNTS:
- Furman leads the overall series 32-15 and have won the last four meetings including the 1-0 nail-biter in the 2018 SoCon Championships elimination round. The Catamounts last victory over Furman came in the 2017 SoCon Championships when the Catamounts knocked off the No. 2 seed Paladins 4-1. Overall, Furman has won nine of the last 10 meetings and won the last five conference series. The last time WCU took the SoCon series against Furman was in the 2013 season when the Catamounts took two of three from the Paladins in Greenville taking the doubleheader 5-4, 1-0. The Catamounts are 8-12 at home all-time against Furman.
- Western Carolina softball junior Hayes has been named the General Shale Southern Conference Student-Athlete of the Week for all competition from April 17-23. Hayes currently holds a 4.0-grade point average in Special Education Inclusive Ed.
- Gibbons had her 13-game on-base streak snapped in game two against Radford on Wednesday. That mark ties her previous season-high from earlier in the season.
- Armstrong's pair of doubles in the doubleheader pushes her career total to 35 giving her sole possession of the second place in the WCU record books. She needs three doubles to take over first place from former Catamount standout Courtney Price who ended her storied career with 37.
- Western Carolina is 2-2 over the last four games winning the nightcap of each of the pair of doubleheaders by one run. WCU defeated Appalachian State in game two 3-2 and shutout Radford in the second game 1-0. In the last 10 games, the Catamounts 5-5 with a record of 4-4 on the road. Gibbons (.357) and Hayes (.310) are each hitting above .300 in that 10-game span with Hayes hitting three of the 11 total homeruns in the last 10 games. Also in the last 10 games, hurler Kinsey Liscio has a record of 3-3 with a 2.19 ERA appearing in seven games, starting five, and recording one shutout.
- Liscio is 1-1 in her last two appearances in the circle with a 1.31 ERA in 10.2 innings pitched. She has given up nine hits, two earned runs and only one extra-base hit, a double, in her last two
- Hayes now has 29 RBI which is a season-high and ranks tied for 17th in the WCU record books for RBI in a season.
- Liscio’s 10 wins on the season is a career season-high for the right-hander.
AN INSIDE LOOK FURMAN:
- Furman is 11-32 on the year and is suffering through a three-game losing streak. The Paladins are 1-9 over the last 10 games.
- Marissa Guimbarda leads the Paladins with a .347 batting average with 42 hits, five doubles, one triple, 14 homeruns, and 36 RBI.
- In the pitching circle, Emily DeMonte leads the Paladins with a .430 ERA and a record of 9-15. She has made 28 appearances and 35 starts in 156.1 innings pitched and 69 strikeouts.
For inning by inning updates of Catamount softball follow @wcusoftball (Twitter) and for intermittent updates and full recaps please follow @catamounts (Twitter) or go to www.catamountsports.com.