CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina softball will compete in a pair of mid-week doubleheaders hosting Appalachian State Tuesday and traveling to Radford on Wednesday.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CATAMOUNTS:
- Appalachian State holds a 24-9 record over Western Carolina. While the Mountaineers were in the Southern Conference Western Carolina was 7-20 against Appalachian State. The Catamounts handed Appalachian State its final loss as a SoCon member defeating ASU 3-2 in the 2014 SoCon Championships in Greensboro, N.C. In the doubleheader played in Boone, N.C. in 2019, the two teams split with App. State winning game one 8-4 and the Catamounts winning the nightcap 5-4. WCU is 4-8 against the Mountaineers in Cullowhee.
- Radford, the Catamounts Wednesday opponent, holds a 6-3 record over WCU. The Highlanders have won the last four meetings sweeping the last two doubleheaders. The Catamounts are 0-2 at Radford.
- Senior outfielder Hunter Gibbons has reached base safely in the last 10 games. She is three away from tying her previous mark of 13 earlier in the season.
- The Catamounts are on a three-game losing streak.
- Senior Madison Armstrong currently ranks second in the Western Carolina record books for doubles with 33 and needs five doubles to move into first place. Former Catamount standout Courtney Price (2014-17) holds the record with 37.
- Gibbons leads the Catamounts with a .325 batting average with 41 hits, 23 runs scored, seven doubles, a triple, six homeruns, and 24 RBI. In her career, Gibbons has scored 101 runs making her just the fourth Catamount in program history to score 100 or more runs in a career.
- Overall the last 10 games, Western Carolina has hit 16 homeruns hitting over half of the team’s 33 homeruns in the season in that span. Senior Shaina Reed has hit four of the 16.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE OPPONENTS:
- Appalachian State has a record of 29-16 and coming off a series loss at Troy taking one of the three games in the series. The Mountaineers are 3-1 against Southern Conference teams this season taking the pair of games against ETSU and splitting with UNCG.
- Radford is 22-27 on the year and will travel to Liberty on Tuesday prior to hosting Western Carolina on Wednesday. The Highlanders swept Hampton in Big South action over the weekend. Radford is 3-1 against SoCon teams defeating Mercer and splitting with ETSU.
For inning by inning updates of Catamount softball follow @wcusoftball (Twitter) and for intermittent updates and full recaps please follow @catamounts (Twitter) or go to www.catamountsports.com.